ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Clipboard Help+Spell - Top Priority Requests for 2011

<< < (6/14) > >>

mouser:
I'd like to be able to tell CHS that chunks of text above a certain size -- maybe 1k? -- should be instantly purged from the database. Maybe allow some to be "locked" so they're not deleted...?
--- End quote ---

that's a nice idea.  It already locks favorites from the auto pruning feature.  I could add a new maintenance feature to allow some smarter automatic deletion of big clips.. or at least add a column for clip size so you could easily sort and delete.  i suspect you could already create a virtual folder of old+big clips using an sql virtual folder that would do this if you know the sql.

your other requests mostly have to do with wanting to set the ORDER of items.. this has long been a weakness in CHS (and indeed a weakness in relational databases in general).  i will try to add an option that will let you choose the sorting order for the quick popup menu, so you can either choose date-based sort, or sort based on an Order column that you will be able to set..  that may not be quite as convenient as drag+drop re-ordering, but should serve you purpose.

oblivion:
Sounds like a plan.

I've spent a few minutes trying to come up with a rationale that could make drag-and-drop work based on recalculation of a notional count in the database, but I think the only way to do it would be to add a count for each possible table, which would mean restructuring the database every time you wanted a new view onto it, which would probably be more trouble than it's worth. Your suggestion sounds like it'd work for me -- thanks!

-- bests, Tim

mouser:
i could add drag and drop but it would just be a mess.. CHS has been a great lesson in the pros and cons of using a database for a clipboard management tool. there are lots of pros and cons on both sides.

rjbull:
My clipboard manager of choice has always been ArsClip. However, it won't play ball with the text editors I've tried to use for the work I've been doing -- Jarte primarily, but I'd have used OpenOffice or anything else that could do quick editing and basic formatting.-oblivion (February 25, 2011, 02:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

What doesn't work with ArsClip?  It's always worked OK for me on editors.  Just had a very quick check with an older version of Jarte free; looks like plain text is pasted OK, but RTF might not be.  Had mixed results doing the same thing with Softmaker Textmaker, where font effects appeared to be preserved, but size wasn't.

CHS has worked nicely with Jarte (if you haven't, try it -- it's a wrapper for WordPad, apparently, but is a very decent free rtf editor)
--- End quote ---

I think Jarte is an extended version that uses the WordPad engine, that is, more features, and more still in the payware version.

I set a few favourites -- longish words I knew I was going to be typing repeatedly -- and set a shortcut up to bring up favourites to make them easier to get at quickly.
--- End quote ---

If you're doing what I think you're doing, you might be better off with a dedicated text expander/completer/corrector.  I currently use Typing Assistant (payware).  The one most often recommended is Phrase Express, which has both free-for-personal-use and payware versions.  Here on DC, timns is developing Auspex, see the Timns Apps sub-board.  There are others too, mentioned in several DC threads.

Another thought: if you have repetitive pasting of boilerplate clips to do, you might want to look at another of mouser's programs, The Form Letter Machine.

IainB:
Some other alternatives to consider as a text expander/completer/corrector:
      AutoHotkey (AHK) or LifeHacker's Texter (written in AHK).

TapTap from DC (mouser) could also be a useful adjunct to these.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version