ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why I Don't Want an iPad for Christmas

<< < (8/9) > >>

Renegade:
So much for using the tool that lets you do the task better. . .
-Deozaan (December 27, 2010, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

But it DOES let you do it better...

Wait a second... I have this sneaking suspicion that "better" in your universe doesn't mean "the Steve Jobs way"...

40hz:
My mom gets Apple products because "they're so easy to use any idiot could figure them out" but then when she has trouble with it and can't figure out what to do with it she asks me for help.
-Deozaan (December 27, 2010, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

So I guess she's basically saying she's not the idiot here?   :P

JavaJones:
I think if being intuitive wasn't a supposed strong point, a "hallmark" even, of Apple products, threads like this wouldn't exist, or would not be so contentious. If the big deal was just industrial design, products that look nice and are physically well made, then UI issues and inconsistencies like these wouldn't grate so heavily. But since the "Apple experience" *is* sold as easier and more intuitive, it makes these issues all the more frustrating and makes them bigger targets for critics. They're legitimate criticisms just as "it works for me" is legitimate. Where I start to get annoyed is when people *tell* me it works for them, but what I *observe* is just as much - if not more - frustration, confusion, etc. as the average Windows user... Or such a severe limiting in what they bother to try doing with the device (due to being trained through negative reinforcement that trying to do more only leads to pain and suffering :D) that I'm inclined to say "Well, try doing *only* those things with a Windows or Linux box and see how much harder (or *not*) it is..."

- Oshyan

Renegade:
I think if being intuitive wasn't a supposed strong point, a "hallmark" even, of Apple products, threads like this wouldn't exist, or would not be so contentious. If the big deal was just industrial design, products that look nice and are physically well made, then UI issues and inconsistencies like these wouldn't grate so heavily. But since the "Apple experience" *is* sold as easier and more intuitive, it makes these issues all the more frustrating and makes them bigger targets for critics. They're legitimate criticisms just as "it works for me" is legitimate. Where I start to get annoyed is when people *tell* me it works for them, but what I *observe* is just as much - if not more - frustration, confusion, etc. as the average Windows user... Or such a severe limiting in what they bother to try doing with the device (due to being trained through negative reinforcement that trying to do more only leads to pain and suffering :D) that I'm inclined to say "Well, try doing *only* those things with a Windows or Linux box and see how much harder (or *not*) it is..."

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (December 27, 2010, 02:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

I think that in the distant past a lot of the hype was likely true. You didn't need to fart around with binding NICs on Macs like you had to on NT4. However, the current state of affairs is quite different, and it's that lack of acknowledgment of reality that proves frustrating to listen to.

I must say though, currently iOS is easier than Android, though not by much.

I do find that things are easier on Windows/Linux than on OS X. A lot of things are little, like Windows and Linux are able to maintain connections to storage devices where OS X drops those connections all the time (network connections as well). OS X makes me re-establish connections all the time, which is simply a pain. Though I do tend to keep my computers running all the time and only shut them off when I leave the country or am out of the city for an extended period.

When you spend a lot of money on a device, there's more incentive to "love" it though. That works in Apple's favor, and I would really like to know some hard facts about real usage and problems there and the attitudes that people take to and away from their platform choices. To me it seems like many Apple users simply surrender to "oh, THAT is how it's done..." whereas that attitude doesn't exist so much in Windows/Linux because there are many more ways to get anything done. e.g. The Ubuntu Software Center works similar to how the Apple iTunes/Ape/Mac Store works, but is simply one option, and not the only one or the one being forced on you.

Deozaan:
I think if being intuitive wasn't a supposed strong point, a "hallmark" even, of Apple products, threads like this wouldn't exist, or would not be so contentious. If the big deal was just industrial design, products that look nice and are physically well made, then UI issues and inconsistencies like these wouldn't grate so heavily. But since the "Apple experience" *is* sold as easier and more intuitive, it makes these issues all the more frustrating and makes them bigger targets for critics.-JavaJones (December 27, 2010, 02:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, exactly!

If a person is always smugly telling everyone how perfect he is in every way, people are going to be very eager to point out his flaws. If another person admits he has flaws but tries nevertheless, people will be more forgiving and willing to overlook his shortcomings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version