ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

USB hubs - does anything like this exist?

<< < (3/3)

Target:
I wouldn't call it acceptable, there's a risk of destroying the USB device or you may have the two computers fighting each other if the voltage supply isn't exactly the same.
Since you'd be having one powered port anyway, (for external 2.5"), you might as well power them all externally - plus it's so easy :)

I prefer to leave the USB devices powered and just switch the data lines, there's less chance of a voltage spike being induced into the data lines that way.-4wd (December 29, 2010, 07:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

<light goes on> :-[

Did you mean don't ?
--- End quote ---

I do :huh:

Possibly just a couple of CMOS/TTL chips wired to input/output lines, the problem being looking through specs to find what's capable of >480MHz switching.  I'd need to look through my circuit library and check the web to get a better idea and see how critical it'd be.

See my edit to above post also.
--- End quote ---

now I'm curious about you're beneficial solution (are we going into manufacturing?)

4wd:
now I'm curious about you're beneficial solution (are we going into manufacturing?)-Target (December 29, 2010, 07:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nah, nothing so productive - just a little testing with a bit of equipment no longer in use around here - who knows maybe you'll get a simple solution and I'll get some pocket money for more Steam sales  ;D

4wd:
Here's a circuit using a Quad Bilateral Switch, CMOS or TTL they are pin compatible - although the TTL would need to be 74HC or 74HCT series.

Parts:
4066 CMOS or 74HC4066 or 74HCT4066 (use a IC socket)
DPDT toggle switch
100nF MKT capacitor

You could wire up the whole thing on the back of the IC socket.

Here's the functional sketch bit:

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the internal parameters of the IC will allow full 480Mb/s without degradation but it's a simple circuit so if it doesn't perform satisfactorily then there's always the rotary switch method ;)

The other thing I have is a Belkin Flip, haven't tested it yet but I don't see why you could just not use the monitor port, connect the keyboard to one of the USB ports and a self-powered hub to the other.
If you're interested I'll give it test - I don't use it anymore since I use DVI connectors now.

Target:
cool, thanks!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version