ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: Duplicate Photo Finder

<< < (6/11) > >>

Renegade:
Perry helped point out that identical photos with different tags (e.g. EXIF) were not being identified. (Yeah... Naughty me... I skipped that test...)

v1.2 adds in hashing for pixel data and lists these 3 methods:

* Simple - Compares file sizes - Fast, medium reliability
* File Signature - Compares file hashes - Very Slow, highly reliability (includes EXIF differrences)
* Photo Signature - Compares pixel hashes - Very Slow, highly reliability (excludes EXIF differences)
On a side note, I learned an interesting little tidbit - .NET Controls Constructed Off-Screen Display Black. Very odd.

Anyways, I hope the update there is useful for people. (Should have done it in the first place.)

Perry Mowbray:
v1.2 adds in hashing for pixel data and lists these 3 methods:

* Simple - Compares file sizes - Fast, medium reliability
* File Signature - Compares file hashes - Very Slow, highly reliability (includes EXIF differrences)
* Photo Signature - Compares pixel hashes - Very Slow, highly reliability (excludes EXIF differences)
-Renegade (January 02, 2011, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Perfect!!!

NANY 2011 Release: Duplicate Photo Finder

worstje:
So, just so I get this right... this tool can't recognise scaled down versions? I've got some old messy HDs lying around, needing backups, but I know from memory huge amounts of those lack sorting and have been scaled down as needed so other people could reliably view them. If I could easily go through it all and find the smaller-sized images to delete those, that'd help with sorting.

If it can't do this already, is there any chance such similar-image functionality could be added? :)

I plead guilty to not testing the app since I don't actually have said old HD hooked up - it is just gathering dust at present. It is for one of those proverbial rainy days.

Perry Mowbray:
So, just so I get this right... this tool can't recognise scaled down versions? I've got some old messy HDs lying around, needing backups, but I know from memory huge amounts of those lack sorting and have been scaled down as needed so other people could reliably view them. If I could easily go through it all and find the smaller-sized images to delete those, that'd help with sorting.

If it can't do this already, is there any chance such similar-image functionality could be added? :)

-worstje (January 02, 2011, 06:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's right: it will only detect exact duplicates. The new EXIF exclusion functionality allows matching of the same image with different EXIF Tags.

Comparing scaled images would be neat, eh? I wonder if it could be done by scaling the in memory image down to the smaller size... but there's other factors involved, like the jpg quality used... I can hear Renegade saying that it's out of scope  ;)

Renegade:

-worstje (January 02, 2011, 06:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's right: it will only detect exact duplicates. The new EXIF exclusion functionality allows matching of the same image with different EXIF Tags.

Comparing scaled images would be neat, eh? I wonder if it could be done by scaling the in memory image down to the smaller size... but there's other factors involved, like the jpg quality used... I can hear Renegade saying that it's out of scope  ;)
-Perry Mowbray (January 02, 2011, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

:D It's out of scope. :)

I'd put that in a "pro" version.

What I'd also include there though:

* Network storage (currently only local devices can be scanned)
* "Live" folder browser (currently does not refresh for changes in file system)
* SURF - Allows "fuzzy" detection for things like slightly different or possibly scaled images
* Database back end - For storing file path, hash and image metadata to speed up things & allow for better scanning
* Recursive folder searches - "Include subfolders"
* Other image format support - GIF, PNG, BMP, NEF, RAW, etc.
* Better data output - More than just file paths for duplicates with checkboxes
* Performance increases - Thread pooling and all that jazz.

What's in there right now is pretty much what most people need -- find "extra backups" and the like. It's simple, straight forward, and wasn't too much for me to get done by the deadline~! :D

Some of those I wanted to get in there even if I hid the functionality.

I'd actually spent most of my time doing research rather than actual programming. e.g. For the hashing, I spent probably close to 2 days just reading on different image comparisons and hashing methods. I'd also spent a good amount of time reading on fuzzy logic methods like SURF and SIFT.

I suppose if the program were to gain any kind of popularity I'd go back and do a pro version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version