ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: askapic.com - Photo Q&A Site

<< < (4/21) > >>

tomos:
Another Plea for HELP :) (questions are numbered)

when you upload an image you have to choose a category and a sub-category
I dont want to have too many top-level categories so (1) I'm looking for help in what main categories to use. (2) Some names may have to be modified for the US
So far I have

* general
* the natural world
* film
* mechanical
off the top of my head, there's many possible canditates (with of course possibility of overlap):

art(y), sciences, people, computer related, food, [(3) should I say Movies instead of Film], politics (might just leave that out), sport,

General has only two sub-categories so far:

* general
* humour
I'm happy with the Natural sub-categories

Film has none yet, maybe film, actor, [(4) people dont say actress any more?], director, + +  ??

Mechanical has the following subs:
cameras
cars
computer [(5) or maybe make that a seperate main category?]
planes
trains/locomotives

mouser:
let me suggest the same thing i suggest to people who are creating new forums:

Start out with the smallest number of categories/sections you possible can, and expand only when things get busy enough to demand re-organization.
There is a big temptation to logically organize everything into tons of hierarchical categories, but when you start out with so many different isolated areas in the beginning, it just feels empty and pointless.

Just my 2 cents.

tomos:
Start out with the smallest number of categories/sections you possible can, and expand only when things get busy enough to demand re-organization.
There is a big temptation to logically organize everything into tons of hierarchical categories, but when you start out with so many different isolated areas in the beginning, it just feels empty and pointless.
-mouser (December 22, 2010, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

yeah,
the Q&A framework came with Categories and Topics(Tags) which I already find a bit confusing - I guess the idea of the categories is to have a more structured framework.
A problem with tags is that I mght call something one name and you another (and then there's spelling differences) which makes it difficult to track down stuff....

I'm starting to think that if you want to categorise stuff you would nearly have to make a different website for each category e.g.
TheNaturalWorld [.com - available for 1.5 grand :)]
etc....

tomos:

Anyone got any tips re "terms and conditions" [for] the site?

edit/ is there something generic out there I could use for the moment?

JavaJones:
Re: categories, I'd be more in favor of tags. They're more flexible. Alternatively you could go with a system that allows suggesting new categories. With *either* solution you want an auto-complete of some kind or a "suggest" function so there is less chance for spelling-related miscategorization, etc.

Re: terms and conditions, one thing you definitely want to make clear is copyright. Essentially, anyone uploading an image should, by doing so, be stating that they either own the copyright for the image, have explicit permission from the copyright holder to use it in this manner, or it is an open/creative commons/otherwise not copyright controlled image. These kinds of Cover Your Ass (CYA :D) terms may be critical to the long-term survival of such a system as it could otherwise be easily cut-off from web hosting without warning, or be the subject of a lot of DMCA/take-down notices (at the least).

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version