ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Need a New Mouse

<< < (7/11) > >>

Renegade:
in 2007 i wrote a long rant against logitech (internal rechargeable battery) mouse and vowed never to use one again.
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=10688.0

i've been using a microsoft intellimouse wireless that takes standard AA batteries, and they seem to last a long time.  i'm one of those people who found using a wired mouse to be hell.

finding a wireless mouse with good battery life is very important.
-mouser (December 26, 2010, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

ps. ok you messed up criminally insane rechargeable-loving freaks can post your replies now telling me how wrong i am.  :-\
-mouser (November 04, 2007, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahaha~!

Reminds me about how much I still hate wires...

Stoic Joker:
I've never been a fan of wireless devices as I frequently have far too many things on my mind to be trying to remember to charge a slew of widgets. Hard wired = powered at all times and ready for input. Any device that (isn't tethered) can be walked off with, can be lost, and that's hardly convenient IMO).

I've used these Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical for years. They're cheap, simple, require no accessory software, and just work regardless of what machine/OS I connect them to.

I tend to appreciate things that really are effectively idiot simple.

Renegade:
I've never been a fan of wireless devices as I frequently have far too many things on my mind to be trying to remember to charge a slew of widgets. Hard wired = powered at all times and ready for input. Any device that (isn't tethered) can be walked off with, can be lost, and that's hardly convenient IMO).

I've used these Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical for years. They're cheap, simple, require no accessory software, and just work regardless of what machine/OS I connect them to.

I tend to appreciate things that really are effectively idiot simple.
-Stoic Joker (December 26, 2010, 10:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I hear you. I've avoided wireless as much as possible up until this year. I simply found them flaky and unreliable.

For mice, I resisted optical mice as long as possible as I found that a good Microsoft ball mouse was simply FAR superior in every way. Granted, they need cleaning, but that's easy. I still find optical mouse technology is seriously lacking in comparison to ball mice, which just aren't available anymore. :(

Back to wireless -- I still don't like it much. The telcos here in Australia throw in an extra dose of incompetence for all things Internet. 3G barely works on the Optus or Vodaphone networks (haven't tried Telus) if at all. In Korea they even have DMB - Digital Multimedia Broadcast -- You can watch TV on your phone. And it works. But they also have a far denser population and infrastructure can be setup better -- Australia is too big to setup infrastructure of that quality. Still, you'd think that 3G would work properly in major population centers like Melbourne. Sigh... I'm ranting again...

For wireless routers... Sigh... Same disappointment. Slow. Not nearly the speeds they promise. Yet another disappointment.

On an uncharacteristic note... My Apple keyboard and mouse are both wireless and actually work pretty well, better than anything else on my Mac anyways. No complaints about that.

My HTC phone... well... the wireless works with Wi-Fi, but the Vodaphone 3G is beyond useless.

Still, the wire situation on the desk is pretty much out of control, so... Wireless mouse it is.

I hope that in the not too distant future wireless technologies mature enough to be comparable to wired - including reliability.

OkRob:
I'm surprised your batteries died so quickly, Renegade. I have used an MX Revolution for a couple years and I love it. The batteries last about a week if I don't charge it before then and I typically use it probably 5-6 hours a day.

I also have a VX Revolution I use at work and the batteries in it last several months, using it well over 40 hours a week there and I'm using it constantly when in my office. I think I like the VX model more than any mouse I have ever used and I have used a lot.

I was wanting another VX Revolution since I like it so well so I just bought what appears to be the next generation of it, the Logitech M705 Marathon Mouse. I'm using it on my home desktop now and so far after having it about 4 days I am very pleased with it as well. They advertise that the batteries in it should last 3 years! We'll see about that.

I am particularly fond of the hyper-scrolling on all of the mice I mention above. I loved it from the first day I used the MX Revolution and I think I will regret ever using anything that does not have it now.

I also prefer Logitech models over others I have used. I have used some Microsoft mice but I really prefer the Logitech models over them. I don't think I'd ever be happy going back to a wired mouse since I have used wireless for so long now.

Interesting reading here though on everyone's preferences.

4wd:
Back to wireless -- I still don't like it much. The telcos here in Australia throw in an extra dose of incompetence for all things Internet. 3G barely works on the Optus or Vodaphone networks (haven't tried Telus) if at all.-Renegade (December 26, 2010, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

IIRC, Telstra currently has the best 3G, (or NextG as they call it), network in Australia.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version