ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

video editing software

<< < (4/9) > >>

Carol Haynes:
The Vegas software family is really great if you want to put together videos. Vegas 6 outclasses Adobe Premier (IMHO).

I've not tried the 'consumer' products but if they do 10% of Vegas 6 then I'd say they are worth a look.

See http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/vegasfamily.asp for details.

nudone:
Carol, i'm very interested to why you think Vegas 6 is better than Adobe Premier. this isn't to start an argument with you, i'd just like to know what your thoughts are.

currently, i'm using Adobe Premier 2 (not very often i admit) and the only thing i'll say about it is - where are the codecs? it seems to have removed itself from being an all purpose encoder (not that it ever was 'all' purpose really) and is now strictly aiming for DV and mpeg encoding. maybe i've missed something with it but i would have thought divx, xvid, blah, blah would be built in by now.

i've played with vegas in the past - looked pretty intuitive and had a nice set of features - i just left it alone because i thought 'you've got to use Premier if you are serious'.

anyway, what are the bits about vegas you like and the bits about premier you don't, Carol?

Gothi[c]:
I use cinerella which is free and very good.
http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

[edit]

Screenshots : http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra_shots.php

It's linux only though.

[/edit]

zridling:
Also check out Video Edit Magic. Easy to use and will convert to anything you want and makes editing — cutting, pasting, adding/changing audio, and transitions — a snap.

Carol Haynes:
Carol, i'm very interested to why you think Vegas 6 is better than Adobe Premier. this isn't to start an argument with you, i'd just like to know what your thoughts are.

currently, i'm using Adobe Premier 2 (not very often i admit) and the only thing i'll say about it is - where are the codecs? it seems to have removed itself from being an all purpose encoder (not that it ever was 'all' purpose really) and is now strictly aiming for DV and mpeg encoding. maybe i've missed something with it but i would have thought divx, xvid, blah, blah would be built in by now.

i've played with vegas in the past - looked pretty intuitive and had a nice set of features - i just left it alone because i thought 'you've got to use Premier if you are serious'.

anyway, what are the bits about vegas you like and the bits about premier you don't, Carol?
-nudone (May 13, 2006, 01:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have to confess I haven't used Premier since Premier 6, and I'd guess that if you have CS2 then it has probably improved a lot.

I used AP6 because I got it free with my captur card but never really got on with it. For one thing it didn't seem very stable to me - you'd be halfway through something and it shut down without an error or anything. It also didn't feel very intuitive. Don't get me wrong it was a capable bit of kit and with the addition of realtime rendered previews in subsequent versions I am sure it has only got better. The other disadvantage is that if you want to add lots of special effects you have to buy AfterEffects which is as exensive as the original package (or a lot more if you buy the Pro version).

Because it was a freebie and I didn't like it too much I tried two other package - CineStream (now Media100) and the other Video Vegas 3 (as it was at the time) and finally settled on Vegas 3. It was so much more intuitive to use for me and seemed to do everything the other packages could do.

Now in Vegas 6 it is so slick and easy to use, plus the version I got comes with DVD Architect 3 which is worth having on its own if you like to make DVDs.

I suppose at the end of the day it is what you get used to but I can't see anything in Premier that can't be done in Vegas and I much prefer the Vegas interface. Check out the demo version (just download it and install it and it runs for 30 days in trial mode). You can download all corrent versions from http://download.sonymediasoftware.com/current/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version