ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snack Guidelines

rename files according to a list - not the usual rename - please read on!

(1/4) > >>

TomD101:
Hello Coders,

I am fairly new to downloading mp3-files from a radio station. I usually ONLY download whole albums, not single tracks.

The downloaded files all have the following syntax:
Artist - Title with spaces.mp3

After downloading, they are sorted alphabetically (or in another way the filesystem from windows permits. This is, of course, not the original order on the album any more.

If I now rename the files listed in my directory I could omit the artist and add a number. But the files would be numbered according to the alphabet, not the intended order on the album.

Before you send me to look for any good mp3-tag-editor: Some of the mp3 HAVE complete tags including track number, others do not. So yes, I tried this already.

Example for tracks as saved on my hard disk:
Keith Urban - All for You.mp3
Keith Urban - Georgia Woods.mp3
Keith Urban - Long Hot Summer.mp3
Keith Urban - Put You in a Song.mp3
Keith Urban - Right on Back to You.mp3
Keith Urban - Shut Out the Lights.mp3
Keith Urban - Without You.mp3
Keith Urban - You Gonna Fly.mp3

The Original order on the album was
1   Put You in a Song
2   You Gonna Fly
3   All for You
4   Long Hot Summer
5   Without You
6   Georgia Woods
7   Right on Back to You
8   Shut Out the Lights

For MY needs - and there could be others like me - I would have to rename each file individually by omitting the artist and adding the right track number  (with two digits incl. leading zero) in front of the title before the  " - ".

So the first title in my directory would be:
Keith Urban - All for You.mp3    ---> 03 - All for you.mp3.

So what I want, seems impossible, as the program would have to be able to parse and compare words from a directory with a file list and rename the files due to these variables.

If you tell me this is simply not possible, I can accept that. I did not find a program to achieve this task.

If anything like this already exists, let me know. I learned that most things people want are already done by (donation)coders.

Have a great Christmas season - or any other festivity according your beliefs

Thomas from Berlin, Germany

Krishean:
i could easily do this with a script, the only limitations would be:

1) the formatting of the list.txt file (i'm assuming you would want "<track number> <title with spaces>")
2) the track name in the list.txt file would have to match the track name in the filename exactly (letter case would not matter, and the case used in list.txt would be used when renaming)

TomD101:
Hello Krishean,

this sounds phantastic. If you have time, create a rough script and I will test it with some samples.
I am not in a hurry, so take your time.

Best wishes

Thomas

timns:
Directory Opus has rename features which includes sequential numbering and can also parse file pathnames to pull out fields. Couple this with its RegEx capabilities and you may well get somewhere.

There's an excellent forum where you could ask this specific question and probably get a result.

http://www.gpsoft.com.au/

Renegade:
All decent MP3 renamers can do that already. They just read the tag info and let you specify how you want the files named.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version