ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Upgrading RoboForm from v6 to v7: worthwhile?

<< < (20/22) > >>

superboyac:
If you sell people a "lifetime" license, it's understood that they should be receiving all future version of the product at no additional charge beyond what was paid for the lifetime license.

And please let's drop the word "free" from this discussion. These lifetime licenses were never free. They were all paid for; and were purchased with the understanding and expectation it would be the only fee that would ever need to be paid for a non-expiring license to use all future releases of this software.

All the equivocation, semantic tap dancing, and hair-splitting over exactly what "lifetime" means will not change the fact that this company is obviously trying to rationalize its way out of the promises it made.

So what this all comes down to is whether or not a person or business keeps its word.

There are at least a thousand reasons why someone may decide to go back on their word. And probably something like half of those reasons are very good ones. But it still doesn't change the fact that, at the end of the day, a promise was broken. And in the end, that's the only thing that matters to those who are affected by it.
-40hz (January 27, 2011, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, you're right I suppose.  I guess that is the real point of all of this.

rjbull:
Just saw this as a Bits du Jour Suggestion: anyone know anything about it?

Sticky Password

€23.95 includes portable version

Quoting their Web site (my emphasis):

* login automatically to your favorite websites
    * fill-in online forms with one click
    * instant access to your passwords and personal data
    * generate and store strong passwords
    * protection against identity theft, phishing and keyloggers
    * your data protected by the strongest encryption algorithms
    * easily manage all your website accounts and passwords
    * portable version included: take all your passwords with you
    * automatic password backup

--- End quote ---

Josh:
I recently attempted to swap to lastpass from Roboform after the latest incident. While LastPass has some potential, I do not feel it is near ready for a full swap. The product works on some pages. There are various pages with LastPass that will fill but not submit. Others will fill and the screen will grey out with LP's "Submitting form" screen but not do anything. I've reported numerous to LP but apparently, unless you are a premium member, you do not get any sort of decent response from the support team. That said, I have decided to dump it. I do not feel like giving them free testing and reports just to be ignored via support. My last reply was over a week ago, to which I promptly responded, and I have not heard back since.

LP feels incomplete. The GUI leaves a lot to be desired. The menus are ungodly long. The options are split between the preferences dialog and the website account settings dialogs. This should be in ONE PLACE. The controls are not very intuitive, not following standard GUI conventions, and leave a lot to be desired.

That said, I have contacted Mr. Carey at Siber Systems, per his request in various messages around the web. After several emails back and forth, I have reached a resolution which I feel to be acceptable. The company was very willing to work with me.

I even took time to explain to them how I was treated like a pirate, even accused of such by the support staff. Upon mentioning this, he said I showed 42 activations on my account for 5 licenses. I advised him that I reinstall windows on various machines quite frequently. Since there is no De-Activation system, I could not deactivate my license before-hand. As such, this resulted in a plethora of activations. Only one time did I ever exceed the number of systems to licenses restriction and I immediately purchased another.

After speaking with him, I feel content in moving back to roboform. The product, after all, cannot be beat in the arena. LastPass just left a lot to be desired when compared to RF's polish. I am still upset with the disregard to the license I purchased, but the resolution we reached is acceptable. I am back and pleased to be using RF once again.

Carol Haynes:
Not had that problem with LastPass except for a couple of Roboform imports that had to be hand edited. Other than that I have found it works as well as RoboForm and is truly cross browser.

Josh:
It happens all of the time for me. It cannot fill flash based pages, it fails on my bank. The auto-login feature works very sporadically. Sometimes it will login, other times not. Sometimes it will fill a form, sometimes not. It is very unreliable, in my experiences.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version