ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Upgrading RoboForm from v6 to v7: worthwhile?

<< < (9/22) > >>

J-Mac:
I tried Clipperz about a year and a half ago, before I went with LastPass. It wasn’t that bad; worked OK on a lot of sites but had trouble with more than I expected. And the development, while steady, wasn’t moving along very fast. I made a number of suggestions and while the developer seemed receptive it will take a long time to build it up to where it needs to be IMO. Seems like a one-person show almost. LastPass was more advanced and covered more pages at that time.

Jim

Carol Haynes:
Import from Roboform is a build-in feature of Lastpass, also instructions. If worried check their forum http://forums.lastpass.com/ for bugs.
-Bamse (December 18, 2010, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Trying lastpass (alongside RoboForm 6).

Whilst I am initially quite impressed with LastPass there are a couple of issues:

* imported just over 1000 RoboForm logins - all imported with issue BUT it doesn't always match fields correctly when filling a form which is a PITA (ie. it imports complete roboform logins but doesn't always configure them correctly for use).
* I am a little concerned that you are relying on their server being up and running 24/7/365 to ensure you can use randomly generate passwords
* Lastpass export to CSV is useful but doesn't seem toe export everything (I can find note or identities - although I am sure they are there somewhere!)
I think if I was starting from scratch LastPass would be nearly ideal but as a move from RoboForm there are still some gremlins.

Anyone know an easy (and multi browser) desktop app that allows import of Robofrom and works entirely on the PC?

Beth UK:
Anyone know an easy (and multi browser) desktop app that allows import of Robofrom and works entirely on the PC?
-Carol Haynes (December 20, 2010, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree that lastpass is a bit buggy in places - still purchased the premium package on a whim ($12, and then you get to use a USB 'key' that adds in a layer of security) in an effort to find an alternative to Roboform. I mentioned earlier that Password Depot is quite decent (though not perfect) as a desktop app. I don't know if it imports Roboform passwords though it says it imports .csv and .xml (never tried).

40hz:

...imported just over 1000 RoboForm logins - all imported with issue BUT it doesn't always match fields correctly when filling a form which is a PITA (ie. it imports complete roboform logins but doesn't always configure them correctly for use).[/li][/list]

-Carol Haynes (December 20, 2010, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've yet to find any CSV transfer that went completely smoothly.  :(

Any time I do a massive import project I'll always pass the CSV file through Excel and do some manual housekeeping first.

It's a lot easier to make sure the field sequence is correct for all records since the oddballs and singletons stick out like a sore digit and are easier to fix. Or at least it's easier than paging through 1K worth of record pages and fixing them one by one. You can also do some format fixes and massive search & replaces if you need to. I'll also usually cut and paste columns to match the default field sequence in whatever I'm importing to rather than play mapping games with the field names. Anything to minimize bad surprises.

And I bet you already do all that, right?  ;D

rjbull:
I mentioned earlier that Password Depot is quite decent (though not perfect) as a desktop app.-Beth UK (December 20, 2010, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Could you expand on Password Depot, please?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version