ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Upgrading RoboForm from v6 to v7: worthwhile?

<< < (2/22) > >>

MrCrispy:
I'm a Roboform customer but switched to Lastpass a year ago and haven't looked back.

Bamse:
Depends on what you use it for. One of the major new features they hide under "fresh new look" is that secure notes now are usable, "the editor" I think. Very slick with real time search and what not.

7 just made Roboform too expensive. Older versions were sold on "lifetime" updates/upgrades, you also got the online account for free. Not so any more. New business model with yearly fees, typical "for this version" upgrade policy and they are screwing over those who recently paid for 6. Only go back a few month for a free upgrade. If 7 "suck" or "is not worth it" I think change of license has much influence on that opinion.

rjbull:
The important part of that reply was:
Go to http://activate.roboform.com/?lang=en in the browser to which RoboForm has attached
--- End quote ---
-CWuestefeld (December 16, 2010, 12:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, CWuestefeld!   :Thmbsup:  And - once I went to look for it - I found I already had those instructions in the original e-mail from them from four years ago - doh!   :-[

As to the upgrade... Their licenses are pretty expensive, and I'm having a hard time seeing that it's worth the expense.

--- End quote ---

It looks to me like most of the improvements are to the UI, and whether those are "improvements" or not is in the eye of the beholder.  Good product, but very expensive for these cash-strapped times.

J-Mac:
I switched to LastPass over a year ago, and I have two desktop licenses, one Robo-2-Go Flash Drive, and a Pocket PC license also. Back throughout 2008 Roboform would not keep up with Firefox releases. Anything that was called a beta was not supported and even when FF would make an official release Roboform was taking at times 2-3 months to release a version that would work with it. Plus as a long time user I knew the support folks from way back; that all changed and they started using support techs who were very short, non-informative, and non-helpful. I tried a few other apps but once LastPass got going and it worked so well for me I paid for the Premium license and have stuck with it ever since.

There hasn’t yet been a release of Firefox that LastPass didn't work for me. So far, anyway.
Thanks!

Jim

rjbull:
I had this same discussion with a few friends last week when one of them began extolling the virtues of RF. Most of us had tried and liked it. But we all (but one) thought it not worth the asking price for the convenience and features it provided.-40hz (December 16, 2010, 12:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Once you've used it for a while, it's hard to live without.  I normally start new logonIDs in KeePass; less slick, but more versatile, and free.  But most logons I put into RoboForm for sheer convenience.  Haven't tried LastPass, though.  I thought that was a Web service, and I'd rather have an app.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version