ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Upgrading RoboForm from v6 to v7: worthwhile?

(1/22) > >>

rjbull:
I just tried updating RoboForm to the 6.10.1, which doesn't (yet) work.  It just brings up the URL but doesn't fill anything.  The installation process loaded the RoboForm page as usual, but didn't say the copy was registered.  Instead, it's showing that they upgraded from v6 to v7, which would be a paid upgrade for me, and fairly expensive, especially as I licenses for two fixed-PC copies of AI RoboForm v6 plus one for portable RoboForm2Go v6.

Has anyone upgraded, and if so, what do you think, please?

What's New in RoboForm 7

A Fresh New Look and Feel
We've updated our look including a new customizable editor.

RoboForm is Everywhere
Updated browser and mobile device support includes IE, Firefox, Chrome, iPhone...

Keep Your Passwords In Sync
Integrated Online Sync Service keeps your data backed up and in sync at all times.

Improved Password Capture
Less intrusive password save prompt making it easier for you to save passwords.

Online and Offline Options
Use our Online Sync service or store your data locally. The choice is yours.

New Multiple Login Feature

Improved Bookmark Management
Import, Organize, and Sync your browser Bookmarks.

Better Language Support
We now support Unicode characters for improved international support.

Better Organized Menus
Popular features are now easier than ever to find.

Most Popular Logins
In addition to Recently Used, we now display your Most Popular Logins.

Site Icons
Your Logins have never looked better. Favicons make it easier to find all your logins.

It All Works Faster
Complete architectural reorganization speeds up everything.

--- End quote ---

CWuestefeld:
As it happens, I was just rebuilding my work system yesterday and ran into the same problem you mention. However, the problem cleared up, and it worked for me a little later yesterday afternoon.

But when I first encountered it, I logged a support query with them, and I had a reply this morning. The important part of that reply was:

Go to http://activate.roboform.com/?lang=en in the browser to which RoboForm has attached
--- End quote ---

From that URL, you can enter your name and your Order ID to register your existing copy.

As to the upgrade... Their licenses are pretty expensive, and I'm having a hard time seeing that it's worth the expense.

superboyac:
I tried the beta fairly recently and it didn't work well.  They are also going towards a ribbon like interface, I believe.  So that's what I noticed.  I switched back to v6 for the time being.  As long as the ribbon isn't too big or has the option for the classic or smaller toolbar, I think I'm ok with the upgrade.  It is a pretty awesome program.  Works very well.

CWuestefeld:
Roboform 6 is fantastic. It's got some annoyances particularly around the user interactions, but it does what it's intended to do very well. From the quote above, it sounds like v7 might smooth some of the UX annoyances, but I'm not sure it's worth the $$.

They are also going towards a ribbon like interface
-superboyac (December 16, 2010, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm a big fan of the ribbon in Office (although I hope this comment doesn't spur further debate!). But I have to say that it's not always appropriate. In particular, I think that it's been a bad thing for SnagIt. At least the way they've divided up the various ribbons, it now takes me quite a few extra clicks to do my usual thing, compared to the old version. My point is that a ribbon in RF could be a positive or a negative, it's not clear until we actually interact with it.

40hz:
As to the upgrade... Their licenses are pretty expensive, and I'm having a hard time seeing that it's worth the expense.
-CWuestefeld (December 16, 2010, 12:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm glad somebody else said that. I've wanted to like Roboform for a long time. I think it's a fine app as far as it goes. But I always thought it far too expensive for what it does.

I had this same discussion with a few friends last week when one of them began extolling the virtues of RF. Most of us had tried and liked it. But we all (but one) thought it not worth the asking price for the convenience and features it provided.

It does, however, continue to sell - so not everybody is on the same page with me and my friends.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version