ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Upgrading RoboForm from v6 to v7: worthwhile?

<< < (11/22) > >>

Darwin:
Of course it's about money! I don't begrudge Siber Systems the need to generate some revenue but, as you point out Bamse, they should have been upfront about what they were doing.

I don't kinow - perhaps we DC'ers are a special breed and I live in fantasy land, but had Siber Systems somehow contacted its existing user base and explained both the necessity and the mechanics of the change, I think people would have been fine with it. Instead (AFAICT) they simply released v.7 and existing users updated only to discover that the Pro version was no longer activated. Not too swift (and a bit morally bankrupt, I think). All this has done is piss people off, particularly given that sticking with v.6 will be a viable option for only so long. Browser updates will likely render it useless - IE9 will be out soon and Firefox, Chrome, and Safari are updated frequently, so the window during which v.6 will remain viable will be very brief indeed.

Bamse:
Handling of transition completely blows regardless of $$$ but in the end it is about money. Just wanted to point that out. With a fair upgrade policy majority of "cheap bastards" would accept change. They can be tossers all they want provided they don't charge too much for what is seen as too little.

Now 7 has introduced application logins it is possible their focus is on business world and private users can come along or just go away. They are acting like unprofessional idiots but can still be very nifty evaluating spreadsheets showing revenue stream ;)

Beth UK:
I mentioned earlier that Password Depot is quite decent (though not perfect) as a desktop app.-Beth UK (December 20, 2010, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Could you expand on Password Depot, please?
-rjbull (December 21, 2010, 03:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll try! Password Depot is a desktop password application made by AceBit. It's not new, but it is regularly updated. I have run it alongside Roboform and LastPass and keep returning to it as my preferred password app. It can run in a number of ways but I tend to have it as an autohiding toolbar at the top of the screen. You can store program passwords as well as www passwords, do backups, print lists for extra precaution if you choose, and it works across browsers (you define your primary and secondary browsers). I use it with Opera, Firefox and rarely IE. Later versions have the ability to capture and store passwords (mostly successful but with glitches here and there just like RoboForm). You can store to FTP, hard drive or USB, and also run it from USB (no extra cost).

I don't have time to do a full review right now but having used it for several years I do find myself returning to it in times of crisis. Importantly, you are not locked into to server-side storage.

Far more features than I can describe here (password generation and time-limiting on passwords so you are reminded to change them - if you choose. There is a trial period so you can try before you buy.

rjbull:
I don't use Firefox so going back to v.6 is always an option for me.-Darwin (December 22, 2010, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm using Firefox 3.6.13, which is recent, and RoboForm 6.10.1, the last of the v6 series, works fine for me.  Of course, I don't know how long that will continue.

I am seriously unimpressed with how this was handled and with the responses that I've seen from Siber Systems thus far.
--- End quote ---
As I wrote above, I notified Siber Systems about this thread in the online ticket I submitted when 6.10.1 wouldn't activate.  They did neither told me how to activate - thanks again, CWuestefeld - nor replied to my invitation to view this thread, which I thought would give them a platform to make their case.  All they did was ask if I wanted to "upgrade" to v7.

Roboform is ABSOLUTELY indispensible to me
--- End quote ---

I find it so very convenient that I'd miss it badly.  But being out of work, in an economy that's on the rocks, I'm resistant (well... partially) to paid upgrades, especially ones that are badly handled.  And if it stops working, well,

Got along without you before I met you
Gonna get along without you now
http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/g/gonnagetalongwithoutyanow.shtml

--- End quote ---

rjbull:
I'll try! Password Depot is a desktop password application made by AceBit. It's not new, but it is regularly updated. I have run it alongside Roboform and LastPass and keep returning to it as my preferred password app.-Beth UK (December 22, 2010, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks!  Is it "limited" to passwords?  The key feature of RoboForm is its ability to fill in forms, not just store passwords.  For "just" passwords, I use KeePass, which is free, and can fill forms as long as you tell it how beforehand (I haven't tried the addons for formfilling as such).  I presume you've tried KeePass and prefer Password Depot?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version