ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Wireless sensor

(1/11) > >>

techidave:
I have searched some online trying to find something already made up but have come up empty.  So I have an idea for a coding snack but I do not know if it is possible or not.  But here goes.   :)

In a school setting with laptops, students sometimes get anxious to log into the network but find they cannot because the wireless card hasn't fully come online, etc, etc.

So what I have envisioned is this:  To have a green dot (large one) say in the upper right corner if it senses a wireless connection or a red dot in the upper left corner if their isn't.  It would also have to check, say every 5 seconds to see if the connection status has changed.  Or it could change the whole desktop a different color for that matter.

It would have to become active before the user logged in.  I haven't found a way to see if their is a active connection without being at the desktop.

Is it possible to do something like this??? 

skwire:
1) Is the wireless NIC its only connection to the network?
2) If so, is there a network address on the network that is always pingable (gateway, etc.)?

techidave:
Yes to both questions. 

Stoic Joker:
Pinging might get blocked by an over zealous firewall. But if the adapters were scanned for a DGW, the DGW could then be ARP'ed. If the ARP call came back with a valid result connected = true.

Firewalls won't affect ARP, and nothing needs to be hardcodded so it'll work anywhere.

Here's a ARP call/test in C++ It took me weeks to figure this out (because everything I Googled said it couldn't be done):

--- Code: C++ ---//======================================================================================================//======================================================================== Hay MAC, WTFs Your Address...?bool GetMACAddress(char *szIPAddr, char *szMAC) { //=====================================================    ULONG   DestMAC[2],ulLen = 6;        LPBYTE  lpBuff;   memset(DestMAC, 0xff, sizeof (DestMAC));  if(SendARP(inet_addr(szIPAddr), 0, DestMAC, &ulLen) == NO_ERROR) {          lpBuff = (LPBYTE)DestMAC; // Now Convert - Address to a String.         StringCbPrintf(szMAC, GEN_BUFF, "%02X:%02X:%02X:%02X:%02X:%02X",                                        lpBuff[0], lpBuff[1], lpBuff[2], lpBuff[3], lpBuff[4], lpBuff[5]);   return TRUE;  }  // <-- IF False, Then the Target is on a Different Subnet and is therefore out of (ARP Required)  StringCbCopy(szMAC, GEN_BUFF, "Not in ARP Table"); // <------------- Broadcast Range ... Say So!  // <------------------------- Note: This Was Added as Part of Build 88 to v1.0.0 <--++++---<<<<< return FALSE;}

techidave:
not sure what your little program means but one school has about 60 laptops that this would need to be done with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version