ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Web alternative to Scrapbook extension?

<< < (2/4) > >>

justice:
yes i did it's great for pasting in information to keep but not for full featured webpages because the layout is lost and you'll end up manually removing cruft which you wouldn't have to do if it just archived the webpage as you see it. Although you could instapaper mobile it first, still thats one step more.

Another alternative would be saving pages to xps/pdf and using desktop search and saving a smart search to desktop.

Still happy with the potential and functionality of Diigo, still not happy paying for another webservice. :D

Bamse:
Another one to test is Iterasi http://www.iterasi.net/features/

Not sure about how to sign up, I did 2/2/2009 and it seem to work but when clicking "Want to upgrade or change your account?" I get a simple contact form.

From their FAQ:

How much does it cost?
Because the needs of our clients vary so much from one customer to the next, we need to evaluate the sites and pages you want to archive, and understand your archiving goals before we can discuss pricing. If you’d like a quote please contact us through the form on the contact page.
--- End quote ---

Limitations of free account are unknown to me.

40hz:
I like ReadItLater. It's a free service very similar to Instapaper. I use it in conjunction with their paid Digest option which provides some nifty additional functions. I'm very happy with both..

If you want to try a very good desktop solution (that is absolutely no hassle to use BTW) try Canaware NetNotes. I use this in conjunction with ReadItLater.

justice:
Netnotes seems to do the trick too, good desktop solution. Readitlater doesn't seem to archive the pages, just the link to the page? So if the original page dissappears you won't be able to read it again? Iterasu seems to make it very hard for home users to use their products and I was unable to sign up.

40hz:
Netnotes seems to do the trick too, good desktop solution. Readitlater doesn't seem to archive the pages, just the link to the page? So if the original page dissappears you won't be able to read it again? Iterasu seems to make it very hard for home users to use their products and I was unable to sign up.
-justice (January 01, 2011, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can sync ReadItLater to your device so it works on or offline.

I don't use it on the desktop that way because for anything I want to permanently keep I'll use NetNotes. So ReadItLater is more a staging area rather than an archive the way I use it. I'll never trust anything that's really important to me to a webservice without being able to make a full local backup. That's why I don't generally like web apps. Many try to lock you in by making it difficult for you to export your data.

Note: I do use RIL's sync feature on my iPhone however. That way I always have something to read during slacktime or while commuting. (Assuming I'm not the driver.  ;) )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version