ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

FamousWhy Software : Famous Questions CMS

<< < (2/2)

mouser:
If you're running a business, the single best thing you can do for your customers is to remain in business. And the only way you'll be able to do that is if you make some money for yourselves along the way.
--- End quote ---

That is a really important point, especially in the software business.  I've tried to make the same point about donationware in the article i wrote about DonationCoder in 2006:

Furthermore, while you may be tempted to tell your users that if they don't donate you won't be able to continue coding, this is probably a very bad idea for a software developer. It's not like a public broadcasting station, where there is no penalty for a watcher to start watching a show and then have the show go off the air. In such a scenario, predicting doom unless enough donations are received may be a viable incentive and threat. For software, if the visitors to your site get the feeling that you may stop work on and support of the software if you don't raise enough money, that alone may be enough to scare them away.

Users don't want to invest their time and effort learning to use your software and become dependent upon it only to have it dissapear. Because of this, you really need to adopt a somewhat unusual approach, and make a contract with your users: You will be there for them, through thick and thin, and in return you ask for some monetary support. If you can't make a promise to support the software no matter what, then you can't expect your users to donate, do beta testing, and file bug reports, and then risk finding themselves left out to dry because there aren't enough people supporting you. You need to set a baseline of support you are willing to guarantee no matter what - and then you can offer further incentives for donating beyond that.
--- End quote ---

40hz:
@mouser - great article. Glad you mentioned it. Never knew about it until now.  :Thmbsup:

pcbender:
Looks like something I've been looking for. How would I request a license?

Thanks in advance.

PCBender

adi_barb:
pcbender: sorry for my late reply.

please send me a pm with the name of your website you want to launch using q&a and to discuss more about the details.

thank you for your interest in our script.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version