ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a good no-frills podcatcher

<< < (2/2)

TheQwerty:
I think I was after something different than you, a multi-device synced solution, but here's some things I went through on my similar search.

My main goal was finding a way of keeping my feeds in sync between my desktop at home and my laptop, where I do most of my listening, at work..

At first I was using the Zune software on my desktop to subscribe and download, sync the files to my external drive and then play them whereever.  But I wanted to get away from having to take the external drive out of my bag each day.

Then I started using Foobar2000 with the Podcatcher component portably, which worked well but I still wasn't satisfied with keeping them in sync, and I got a new phone that I wanted to start using as well.

That's when I tried Google's Listen app for Android, which integrates with Google Reader, and that was just an awful mess. It works alright, but it was difficult when a podcast would show up in Google Reader, and I'd have to keep it new until I listend for it to show up in Listen.

I like Google Reader for RSS, and now that I had moved my podcast subscriptions into it, I found that I liked it better than Zune (which I didn't dare install on my work PC).  Thus, I decided to just manage things myself. Currently, I subscribe in Google Reader and when a new podcast shows up I download it to my Dropbox folder.

Then I can download it on my phone or play it from any of my devices (they all have Dropbox) in whatever player I want.  Once I've listened I just delete it from Dropbox and that's it.

It's not a nice automated solution, but it's a simple one that meets my needs, and there's no software trying to be too smart or flashy getting in the way.

app103:
I am still using Juice, myself, simply because all it does is download them and nothing more. My primary use is for downloading free music from last.fm (my recommended downloads feed). I'd like something similar but with the ability to handle unicode file names, which cause Juice to fail.

dspelley:
Here's a list of clients - but I haven't looked at any of them.  Podcasting News

Looks like Wikipedia has a similar (maybe the same) list.

40hz:
Here's a list of clients - but I haven't looked at any of them.  Podcasting News

Looks like Wikipedia has a similar (maybe the same) list.
-dspelley (December 15, 2010, 01:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've been working my way through those lists along with a few others. Nothing so far seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

I am still using Juice, myself, simply because all it does is download them and nothing more. My primary use is for downloading free music from last.fm (my recommended downloads feed). I'd like something similar but with the ability to handle unicode file names, which cause Juice to fail.
-app103 (December 02, 2010, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm going to have to agree with April on this one. So far, Juice comes closest to what I need it for, so I guess I'll learn to live with its limitations. There's only one place I visit where the unicode issue will be a problem. For that site I'll just do manual downloads.

Thanks to all for the feedback and suggestions. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version