ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

utorrent and azureus high cpu activity

(1/3) > >>

nudone:
this is me being lazy but i'll ask all the same...

i've just started using azureus and utorrent (they seem to be popular things to talk about at the moment around the blogs) but i'm wondering if it's normal for the cpu activity from these torrent managers to be at 50% all the time - that just seems crazy to me.

i was just trying to get some noam chomsky videos but i'm not going to bother if it means 50% cpu activity constantly as they download.

can someone please confirm if that's normal or is my machine just freaking out.

superboyac:
No, you're not crazy.  I used azureus for a long time, and found that it hogged my cpu.  Actually, that's why I turned to utorrent, but I think that is pretty heavy on my cpu as well.  I like utorrent because it's not java like azureus and clicking around things is faster and it feels more lightweight.  However, azureus is more feature-rich, although I don't think I use any of the fancy features.

But back on topic, I don't know if it's the nature of torrents or what, but these programs do seem to use a lot of cpu.  Maybe there are other alternatives, like ABC, which I used a little bit, but it seemed to download slower than azureus and utorrent.  On the positive side, azureus downloads the fastest of them all I think, with utorrent almost there also.

Maybe because the download speeds are approachin 200-300 kBps is what is making the computer slow.  Does anyone know anything about that?  I've heard that when you download anything at really high speeds, the computer can become significantly slower.  Is that true?

Hirudin:
I've only used utorrent a little, but durring that time I didn't notice it using a significant percentage of my CPU. I used to use Azureus, but then I remembered that I hate Java and went to Bitcommet. I don't know how Bitcommet stacks up against the competition in regards to CPU use, but I've accidently left it on a couple times when playing Counter Strike, and not realized it until after I left the game. Of course, the download speeds I was getting were very low, so maybe that is why I didn't notice it using up my processing power.

superboyac:
Hirudin, so you're a fellow java hater also?  I'm not a programmer or anything, but why do java applications suck so much?  I don't know why, but they just do.

Rover:
Hirudin, so you're a fellow java hater also?  I'm not a programmer or anything, but why do java applications suck so much?  I don't know why, but they just do.
-superboyac (February 16, 2006, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hmm... must be that they're written in Java!!!
My issue is that it trys to be everything to everyone and is so complicated to develop with and distribute, that it ends up being fairly worthless. 

Your mileage may vary. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version