ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can we compare file transfer protocols?

<< < (5/8) > >>

mwb1100:
SFTP is just FTP with an SSL layer, so it still sucks just as much as FTP
-f0dder (December 12, 2010, 08:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

SFTP is not FTP over SSL (that's FTPS).  Confusingly, SFTP is unrelated to FTP (except that it's a file transfer protocol). One advantage it has over FTP is that it uses a single data connection for transfers. there's no need for it to setup and tear down a connection for each file transferred.

f0dder:
SFTP is just FTP with an SSL layer, so it still sucks just as much as FTP
-f0dder (December 12, 2010, 08:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
SFTP is not FTP over SSL (that's FTPS).  Confusingly, SFTP is unrelated to FTP (except that it's a file transfer protocol). One advantage it has over FTP is that it uses a single data connection for transfers. there's no need for it to setup and tear down a connection for each file transferred.
-mwb1100 (December 14, 2010, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ah, thanks for clearing that up :) - SFTP is going to be a bunch better than FTP/FTPS, then.

fenixproductions:
@f0dder
I've read what is written in posts above and I don't see "the best of all" solution. Because of that, it would be rather better to give each one of them a try and check which has the lowest issues count.

superboyac:
Ok everyone, first of all, it doesn't matter to me what the differences are between SFTP and FTP FTPS, and what not.  I'm not saying that to be an asshole.  I'm saying that because no matter which one it is, ftp clients still treat them the same way minus different setting in the preferences.  So in the end, it doesn't matter to me.

My ideal goal, once again, is to somehow have a drive or folder that I can access from ANYWHERE as a drive or folder.  Not a Dropbox button, not a separate client software access, and so forth.  From the discussion here, I can see that what I want is either extremely difficult or impossible.  Fine.  In that case, I'm going to find the alternative that is closest to what I want.  Dropbox is not the answer because there is no way in hell I'm going to upload my stuff to someone else's central server and pay for it on top of that.  It's not even about the money.  It's about the fact that I want the server on my property.  I want direct access to that server.

The reason why I think I'm going to go with sftp is because it's a common enough thing where most file management type of activities can accomodate it because it's probably already built into their features.  It's not a new, proprietary thing like a Dropbox.  So, for example, I can use SFFS to backup files using SFTP because it's already built into it.  I can also use Dopus, or Total Commander to access the server from anywhere directly.  This is kind of stuff I'm looking for.  My only complaint with it was the weird, intermittent way it connects, which everyone here has so graciously explained all the reasons why and how that happens, which is quite informative.  But nevertheless, the bottom line is that ftp is pretty good if not for the connection thing.

And just for the record, I want to say that I have never seen what I am asking for done in the way that I am describing.  So I realize it's quite a picky thing I'm asking for.  I just find it odd that something like this is not easily done, but I guess I feel that way about a lot of things.  I know you guys think I'm all stubborn and difficult about all of this, but my life is pretty hectic right now, and on top of that, I can feel myself drifting away from this computer stuff that I have been knee deep in for half of my life.  I like 40hz' post a day or two ago where he talks about the different kind of computer geeks.  There are those who are IT people for a living, so it's not a problem for them to do things with configuration files and complicated setups and so forth.  Then there are those (like me) who are extremely good with computers, but we're not programmers, so there's a subtle difference in the things I prefer or am willing to try.  I am in the extreme minority, both among the people here, and among normal non-computer geeks.  Non-computer people lump me in with the IT guys, and the IT guys think I'm a non-computer people.  The truth is, I am beyond an expert when it comes to using software.  I can use the shit out of software and talk for days about every little button and feature.  What I don't do is all this behind the scenes stuff.  Things involving ini files, scripting, databases.  I'm not even that concerned about HOW things work.  Like, i don't care why java applications are slow...I just care that they are slow.  Most of you guys get into why it's slow, and how it shouldn't be slow, and then the acronyms start flying and the technicalities start being thrown around.  That's cool, it's just not for me.  but that doesn't mean I'm an computer idiot and I need Apple things or else I won't be able to make my way around.  I just want to get stuff done.  I like documented procedures for specific things.  I don't like searching through forums (anymore) and trying out 20 things until they work.  I don't even have the time for it anymore.

Last year, I would spend an hour fiddling around with css code to create a padding around the pictures on my site that I felt was the proper amount of padding.  I'm done with that shit, I'm tired of it.  I want a button that says "padding".  I want to go there, type a number, hit OK, and see the padding changed.  I DON"T want to go into a css file, change some things, save it, upload it to the server, reload the webpage, check if it works, rinse and repeat.  I'm telling you, i don't have time for this stuff anymore, and my brain is going to explode trying to figure that out on top of figuring my career stuff out, on top of figuring music out, on top of figuring out sports, etc.  I'm cutting the pseudo-programmer mindset out of my brain.

What I really want is to hire a programmer for myself.  That's weird, I know.  but I want someone local to me that I pay a certain salary, and I just say, "can you make such and such" and he does.  The problem is, I want it for personal reasons, not really for any kind of business or money-making reasons.  So at this point, I can't justify it.

Anyway, that's what I'm going through.  I know, believe me I know, that I've been a pain in the ass around here.  I'm sorry.  I know everyone is just trying to help, so I'm sorry.

Stoic Joker:
My ideal goal, once again, is to somehow have a drive or folder that I can access from ANYWHERE as a drive or folder.-superboyac (December 14, 2010, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
An FTP server can be added (as a location) to Network Places and it just appears/acts like a normal folder. This has been an option in windows since the 9x days. Mind you it's not always real smooth, but it seems awful close to what you're after (hit remote folder X from anywhere).

In XP and below it appears as the Add Network Place menu option. - I'm not sure about Vista - In 7 it appears as a "Connect to a Web site..." link at the bottom of the Map Network Drive dialog.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version