ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can we compare file transfer protocols?

<< < (4/8) > >>

JavaJones:
Are you willing to pay for a solution? If so, then virtually "perfect" options exist in e.g. Dropbox (commercial), Sugarsync, or one of the many other multi-sync/backup solutions. Many of them do pretty much exactly what you're describing, in a seamless, easily setup, easily updated way, that generally handles conflicts and autoupdates well. No other system I'm aware of is going to be as seamless as that. That's probably why they can charge for their quality of service. ;)

- Oshyan

fenixproductions:
@superboyac
If your server contains WinXP (at least) I would recommend to give Hamachi a try.

What I can see at home: it allows to create LAN network with access granted to many users across globe. I can observe it working for simple file sharing (default Guest networks accounts) but it should be possible to set it up like normal LAN with full users control.

superboyac:
I'm feeling like I'm just going to do ftp or sftp and try that for a while.  If I feel a strong need to do something more, I'll try other things.  It doesn't seem like there's exactly the thing I'm looking for available, or easily available.  I appreciate all the suggestions, I just don't have much time right now to look into things that don't involve buttons and nice, simple dialogs.

f0dder:
What I can see at home: it allows to create LAN network with access granted to many users across globe. I can observe it working for simple file sharing (default Guest networks accounts) but it should be possible to set it up like normal LAN with full users control.-fenixproductions (December 14, 2010, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hamachi works, but again - the Windows SMB/CIFS protocol really isn't suited for usage across a WAN. superboyac mentions that "And I don't want to use a service like Dropbox or skydrive because the file transfer sizes I'm talking about are many gigabytes.", I'd definitely not want to do that via SMB/CIFS across a WAN :)

JavaJones:
I don't really understand, SFTP isn't going to be particularly easy or automated to use for bi-directional syncing, nor does it easily handle differencing and limiting unnecessary file transfer. All of the Dropbox-like tools are quite simple to use and automated, and in many cases can transfer only changed parts of large files, for example. And they come with "buttons and nice, simple dialogs". The only drawback is they're not free...

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version