ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Liquid Story Binder: Excellent

<< < (2/5) > >>

40hz:
Allso left out one other thing I really like about LSB: documentation!

It has a MANUAL!!! (Does anybody remember how software always used to come with a manual?) I thought I was either hallucinating or had fallen into a timewarp.

And it's in PDF format so you can print it out too!

Man, I am really starting to love this guy...

wraith808:
I used to own a copy of LSB some time ago. I got it as a free one-day promo from the GOTD website. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the license was only for that version. So when I innocently upgraded it to the new edition that came out a few weeks later, I lost the free license.
-40hz (December 10, 2010, 07:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, iirc, the GOTD promo also gave a lifetime license. He changed the license code system soon after and you had to send an email to get a new code. Really good guy and deserves the support from people buying the prog.
-Dormouse (December 10, 2010, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

As far as I know, all of his license are lifetime... just as dormouse said, you have to e-mail him if there is a problem.  There is also an active yahoo group that he frequents.  As dormouse said, a really good guy, and one I don't mind supporting at all.

40hz:
@Dormouse/wraith808 - thx for that info! :)  But I went and bought a new license anyway. Which is only fair. I intend to get some serious use out of this package in the coming year. And every developer deserves the support of those that use their products.

I just migrated something I'm working on over to it as we speak. Already liking this app very much! :)

superboyac:
Nice summary, 40hz.  Of course you would like the program, I should have known!

The program is sold as a novel writing software, but I think it's pretty helpful for any kind of story writing.  Fiction, nonfiction, comic books.  Heck, even screenplays, except for the particular formatting requirements which other programs do.  I've dabbled in screenwriting a little bit, and LSB could be used to structure the meat of your story before having to format properly using FinalDraft or something like that.

But like 40hz said, you only have to use the modules you like, you obviously don't have to use everything.  What's great is that all of your story ideas will be in one location, with non proprietary formats, and very easy to backup and transfer between computers.

I was thinking that LSB doesn't really do anything that I couldn't setup InfoQube to do (or some other data management software).  But like 40hz said, it's the interface that is helpful.  All the modules are specially designed to help with that particular function, and it's very pretty and fun to use.

Ok, now it's turning into a mini review.  Back to studying!!

40hz:
The program is sold as a novel writing software, but I think it's pretty helpful for any kind of story writing.  Fiction, nonfiction, comic books.
-superboyac (December 10, 2010, 02:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, what I'm using it for right now is to help a friend rough out a Steampunk game concept he's in the process of designing. He took one look and decided to score his own registered copy of LSB. So now all we'll need to do is throw the files up on DropBox and we are set to rock... (Bring it on, bring it on, bring it ON!)

LSB should be great for keeping track of all the assets and snippets and story themes and dossiers and yadda-yadda... that usually wind up on Post-It notes all over the walls, the floor, and (sometimes) the ceiling when you do this sort of thing. (Think Artie in Warehouse 13 with that glass wall he's always consulting - except we're nowhere near that furry or fat, thank god!)

I'm also seriously thinking about using the mind map function for level design since it looks and works like a balloon map anyway. Have to set it up as a separate file of course. Or maybe not. Hmmm...

Oh well, that's for the weekend.  8)

Now to finish-up these Win2k3 server scripts for my paying client...<*yawn*>

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version