ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

slock - anyone using it still?

<< < (2/4) > >>

4wd:
Forgot to mention that the key generator itself must be 'registered' to run. And of course, there's no-one left any more to create the key for the key generator!  :'(-timns (December 07, 2010, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unless the software validates itself over the net or, (as f0dder said), is tied to machine identifiers I would have thought you'd be able to pull the registration info from wherever it's hiding, eg. registry, file, (AD is also a possibility), etc.

However, the very first thing you should be doing is creating a raw drive image of the machine for backup.  I say raw because you don't know what kind of registration magic is used and it's better to be safe.

Is that the one by TSM Inc and does no one keep registration info/emails where you work?

timns:
Forgot to mention that the key generator itself must be 'registered' to run. And of course, there's no-one left any more to create the key for the key generator!  :'(-timns (December 07, 2010, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unless the software validates itself over the net or, (as f0dder said), is tied to machine identifiers I would have thought you'd be able to pull the registration info from wherever it's hiding, eg. registry, file, (AD is also a possibility), etc.

However, the very first thing you should be doing is creating a raw drive image of the machine for backup.  I say raw because you don't know what kind of registration magic is used and it's better to be safe.

Is that the one by TSM Inc and does no one keep registration info/emails where you work?
-4wd (December 07, 2010, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, it's by "crypto central" and it seems they went down the lav some time ago without doing the decent thing and making their code available to registered users.

The problem is that when you install their software, you then have to send a certificate which contains all sorts of PC-specific information, and get an activation back. And of course now, we're simply screaming into the void.

Stoic Joker:
Not sure if it helps any but some googling turned up this description/feature list for, AecSLock shareware protection 1.11 - Does that sound about right?

aecSLock allows you to turn your applications into shareware with very little effort. SLock uses the famous Blowfish encryption algorithm to ensure security and flexible registration options to allow you to protect your application how you want. Features include:Protection using encrypted entries in the Windows registry and in a given DLL for additional securityFive modes of protection:Number of daysNumber of unique daysNumber of startsSpecific Expiry DateTime outSLock supports Grace periods - the software will work for a given number of starts/days after it has expired, allowing you to show a LRegister Now!l message.Flexible protection optionsRegistration for a given userRegistration for a single machineThe Trial period can be extended up to 99 times by an extension unlock code. You can control if and when you wish to allow SLockls trial period to be extended.Many more...
--- End quote ---

4wd:
No, it's by "crypto central" and it seems they went down the lav some time ago without doing the decent thing and making their code available to registered users.-timns (December 07, 2010, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same thing I believe, www.crypto-central.com was the homepage of TMS TSM Inc - as shown here.

The problem is that when you install their software, you then have to send a certificate which contains all sorts of PC-specific information, and get an activation back. And of course now, we're simply screaming into the void.
--- End quote ---

Sounds like it might be tied to hardware IDs then.  You'll have to pray to the Gods of Hardware that the pc never dies ;)

Otherwise, from the simple explanation given here, (second post from end), would it not be easier to remove it from your software, (substituting something other if necessary), and push it out as an upgrade?

Or am I getting this wrong and you just provide support/licensing for third party software?

timns:
No, it's our software, but several of our clients are either unable or unwilling to accept updates. So if they lose a PC and need to re-install, it's up to us to support them with what they have on that old CD we shipped to them back in the day.

I'm sure you've run into similar situations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version