ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Connections problem has me stumped ...

<< < (3/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Silly question but.....if it's a desktop computer that is only 3m from the hub why not just use a wired connection?
-4wd (December 07, 2010, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Geography - and there aren't spare sockets for powerline adaptors.

Stoic Joker:
When the download stalls, does all network access stall with it? Or can you still load a webpage during a stalled download.

Reason I ask is that if everything slows to a crawl/stop at the same time you can use ping to identify where the problem exists. If you can ping the local ip address but not the gateway (router) then it's a WiFi issue. However if you can't ping the local IP or even the loopback address, then it's a LM/driver/protocol issue.

When you reset winSock did you reset TCP/IP also?

If IPV6 is an option on any of the equipment involved, disable it as it tends to be a real PITA and the root cause of all sorts of weird behavior & performance issues.

Carol Haynes:
Web pages still load and other files will download - just the one stalled fie remains stalled.

No IPv6 in the network.

I didn't reset TCP/IP just Winsock - I'll give it a go.

Thanks guys for all the feedback - much appreciated.

mrainey:
Maybe run this tweak tool and see if it gives you any ideas?

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

Shades:
The files that go wrong...do they have a size bigger than <value>? Do these files crash the first time, but the second time they manage to squeeze through?

In those cases I would suspect time-outs and package sizes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version