ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A NAS server for my home

<< < (5/7) > >>

4wd:
I have the D-Link DNS-321 as well, but was very disappointed about the reliability and frequency of SW updates.-phitsc (December 08, 2010, 04:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I concur with this, I have the DNS-313 and frankly it's put me off buying D-Link hardware.

Frequency of firmware updates is non-existent and introduce more bugs - they also depend on what version of the hardware you have but don't have the courtesy to tell you in the firmware notes which version it's for.
Emails to D-Link unanswered.

Also little things like not being able to power on to standby at power restoration after a power failure - it's a NAS for heavens sake.  One of a NAS' main functions is backups and the damn thing can't recover from a power failure to continue it's main function.

phitsc:
Also little things like not being able to power on to standby at power restoration after a power failure - it's a NAS for heavens sake.  One of a NAS' main functions is backups and the damn thing can't recover from a power failure to continue it's main function.
-4wd (December 08, 2010, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that was a problem for me as well. I've actually modified the HW for it to auto-power on when mains comes back. I have it on an auto-timer now that powers in on once a week to do network backup from the Synology to the DLink. Then a cron-job powers it down again once everything _should_ be complete.

phitsc:
Though I did wonder about setting up the media streaming (as we get content free internet radio which is better quality than over the air). Have you looked into that?
-Perry Mowbray (December 08, 2010, 05:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I use the media streaming to watch photos and videos via PS3 on my TV. I've also installed the official Squeeze Server plugin to access my music library from my stereo.

The reason for me to leave it running is that I have the NAS in the basement somewhere. And I don't want to go there to turn it on when I want to listen to music in the living room. I'm never listening between say 2 and 6 in the morning though (and also don't access any files), so it could be switched off during that time which I would do if the NAS could turn back on by itself. The NAS actually can turn on by itself when mains comes back, but only after a power outage, not after regular shut down, and I'd rather not cut power on purpose ;) As I said, all the newer models can also turn on on a schedule.

CWuestefeld:
Also little things like not being able to power on to standby at power restoration after a power failure - it's a NAS for heavens sake.  One of a NAS' main functions is backups and the damn thing can't recover from a power failure to continue it's main function.
-4wd (December 08, 2010, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

This feature was added in the most recent firmware update for the DNS-321 (which I think was like a year ago).

I was concerned with wasting power too, and I set it up to shut down overnight.
-Perry Mowbray (December 07, 2010, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

The DNS-321 can be configured to sleep the hard drives when unused for a given timespan. However, they take a long time to wake up, so my client software would frequently timeout, so I disabled the sleep feature.

4wd:
The DNS-321 can be configured to sleep the hard drives when unused for a given timespan. However, they take a long time to wake up, so my client software would frequently timeout, so I disabled the sleep feature.-CWuestefeld (December 08, 2010, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Believe or not, but that feature actually worked OK on DNS-313 and SyncBack waited long enough for the drive to spin up, (~10s), when doing a backup.  Mind you, it took 2 firmware upgrades to get it to work reliably, (most of the time).

I've actually modified the HW for it to auto-power on when mains comes back.-phitsc (December 08, 2010, 06:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

I saw that hack but since it's going to be retired in favour of a FreeNAS solution I haven't bothered doing it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version