ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > UrlSnooper

WinPCap issues - no npf.sys file on my system

(1/2) > >>

TheGregster:
Hi Mouser!  Have an odd problem here.  URL Snooper seems to install fine, but when WinPCap tries to install, I'm told that it can't open "c:\windows\system32\drivers\npf.sys" for writing.  Didn't take look to figure out why - it doesn't exist on my system... anywhere, not just in the "c:\windows\system32\drivers folder."  I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit (which is likely the problem).  If I tell it to install anyway, URL Snooper doesn't see any network adapters. No surprise there.  Was wondering if you have any thoughts on this.  If so, thanks!  If not, I'd appreciate it if you could drop everything else you're doing, re-write URL Snooper from the ground up, and eliminate the need for WinPCap entirely.  Oh yeah, then drive it over to my house and install it for me to make sure it works...   Thanks!   ;D

Greg

worstje:
I haven't installed Winpcap in a while, nor used this one.. but I bet it is trying to _write_ said file and doesn't have the permissions, hence it not existing. Did you try running that install with administrative privileges?

TheGregster:
That's an excellent suggestion - will try it and post the results - thanks!

TheGregster:
Aw nuts, didn't work.  I appreciate the suggestion though.  I'm going to try to attach a screen cap of the error. Never done this before, so forgive me if I make a mess...

Greg

worstje:
Try using Process Monitor (not Process Explorer) from Sysinternals. It's a bit of an unwieldy utility, but if you set up a filter for the installer (or maybe for the path in question, either ought to work) and then reproduce your issue, maybe you can see why it fails to open it as it ought to display the reason for the failure. I find it hard to believe it is a problem everyone running Windows 7 has as most packet-inspection utilities lean heavily on WinPcap.

Alternatively, try installing another program that comes with Winpcap? I seem to recall software bundling it with their apps to make them easier to use. An example of such a program would be Nmap. (It's kind of a hack, but probably easier than debugging the problem like I suggested just now since it wouldn't garantuee a fix...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version