ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: JottiQ

<< < (30/40) > >>

Bamse:
Guess not many use Vista 64bit so should say I cannot provoke crashes on that OS.

worstje:
Hi worstje,

Sorry for the delay ... I found some time only today and ran ProcMon

I didn't fing anything "bad" related to fonts, but to my surprise there are many (I mean a lot! of) "Buffer Overflow" Errors.

I saved reports in <>.XML and native <>.PML formats. The files are 69MB and 95MB respectively
I'll try to attach the latter archived ~5MB , but if that fails you can tell where to upload in case you need whole report.

In addition attached are just few examples of those Error entries and respective exports from the Registry (suffixes ".txt" were deliberately added to the ".reg" extension)

Cheers!
-jCat (January 20, 2011, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, I'll go dig into those! :) Buffer overflows do sound surprising as (last I knew) the code it crashed in wasn't mine, and I tend to be rather careful where buffers are concerned.

Hi worstje,
I stumbled upon a small JottiQ-bug: I can make JottiQ crash by opening/closing the About box several times.
I'm running the latest version on my laptop running Windows XP SP3.

Kind regards and keep up the good work
-zzynx (January 20, 2011, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, I can't reproduce it on W7 64-bit either. I've opened the About box like 50 times in a row just now and could not repeat it. Skwire, do you use WXP SP3 as well? I'll give it a test-run later. I suspect the icon stuff is causing these crashes again, although I am pretty sure I hard-coded that stuff. Hmm.

Is there anyone who can reproduce the crash who can give me the stack trace and such as it ends up in the Windows Event log? I gave pointers to the exact place to find it up there when trying to deal with that other crashy behaviour.

worstje:
Ok, I dug into the stuff jCat gave me but can't really find anything that is wrong. The buffer overflows are apparently pretty normal - Windows causes them tons, and it is mostly a side-effect of its internal workings as some blogs of Mark Russinovich explained to me. I did some further digging into the guts of the .NET framework, and while I can't find the cause just yet most signs seem to point towards it indeed being a font issue. 9/10 references to (=uses of) that FileFormatException are in code that deals with fonts. I'll try to keep looking tho - for now I'm gonna see if I can find my laptop somewhat at all. :)

worstje:
I might have joyous news for all... or a huge disappointment. :tellme:

The attached file should fix the About box crash, and very hopefully it also fixes jCat's crash upon starting. I am very interested in hearing how it works out for all people with problems (especially jCat as I cannot reproduce his particular usecase). To test it just replace your JottiQ.exe with the one inside the archive and run as usual.

If this test build fixes the issues, I will likely soon release an official v1.0.3 with one or two more minor tweaks but no changes feature-wise. There's plans for new features, but they are being saved up for a v1.1.0.

cranioscopical:
The attached file should fix the About box crash
-worstje (January 21, 2011, 05:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

And it does for me… XP SP3.

I saw about about 30 times.

Still functions in other ways also — who ever doubted that?

:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version