ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: JottiQ

<< < (10/40) > >>

mouser:
Working here on Xp Pro !!!
NICE  :up: :up: :up:
Very cool app.

NOTES:
Trying to enable context menu crashed the app after the windows dialog was shown.

Suggestion:
Maybe move the file-related buttons to the bottom, under the grid?
Maybe add a right-click option to search for the filename in browser to help people learn more? maybe on a favorite process info site?

mouser:
Worked very well.. throttled itself and updated results perfectly as they became available.  Very nice.
The Jotti.org people should be excited about this  :up:

worstje:
Trying to enable context menu crashed the app after the windows dialog was shown.
-mouser (December 19, 2010, 03:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

After what Windows dialog was shown? I have tried (WXP Pro SP3) to install the context menu extension, then add a file through the context menu extension, and then remove it, and I saw no crash. Can you be a bit more specific as to what you did?

Suggestion:
Maybe move the file-related buttons to the bottom, under the grid?
Maybe add a right-click option to search for the filename in browser to help people learn more? maybe on a favorite process info site?
-mouser (December 19, 2010, 03:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had the interface at the bottom originally, but I found it confusing as it wasn't where people looked. Admittedly, I haven't tried putting stuff both at the top and at the bottom, but I felt that a single bar at the top would probably be enough. If the file-specific stuff all went at the bottom, the top one would only have the 'Process Queue', 'Settings' and 'About' things, and imo those aren't as important at all.

mouser:
Well the logic being:

1. Not all buttons now have room if the window isnt really large.
2. It makes sense to me to isolate the buttons that work on a specific selected file from the generic buttons, and putting those file-related buttons at the bottom of the list makes sense to me.

Couldnt get the crash to occur again.. the dialog that showed was the "Run As" dialog where i could give it permission to run as administrator.  It doesn't crash any more, but doesn't seem to install any context menu extension even when i give it permission.  Not that this bothers me as i love to drag+drop files anyway instead of right-clicking.

worstje:
Hrm. On XP, I noted you really need to run it as the Administrator for it to work. I used to have a 'success' popup originally, but right now it only popups when it fails in some manner (assuming the thing isn't completely canceled to begin with), which seems to make more sense.

And yeah, I know all buttons don't have room. That's why I pretty much moved the most infrequently used items to the far back. I originally considered using an ordinary menu, but I was rather charmed with the way this allowed me to keep the menu items to the left side and leave the full vertical height available for all the virus scan results, of which there tends to be a lot.

To boot, all items have a shortcut attached (hover over the menu button to see it), and they are also available in the right-click popup menu if they are item specific. Them not showing.. I am not sure how much of a problem it truly is.

What I have been considering more-so though is to perhaps remove the labels for the move up/down and delete commands, and very maybe put them back in for the more specific actions. Or perhaps shuffle them around a little. (I was really unhappy with the stuff-at-bottom idea when I toyed with it for a few hours, hence my hesitation on committing to that idea.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version