ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone using Nuance's 'Dragon Naturally Speaking' or equivalent?

<< < (2/5) > >>

barney:
4. Read the instructions, do the complete setup, and do all the tutorials.
--- End quote ---
That was why I dropped it after trying it, but, as mentioned, that was years ago, comparatively early version, and 'tis likely my hardware really wasn't up to the task - I know the [analog] mike was hit-or-miss, mostly miss  ;D.

OK, looks as though v11 is gonna be a go.  Nuance recommends the Plantronics Calisto (I wonder how they pronounce that  :huh: :D?) USB headset, so that'll be on the list as well.  I'll just have to be patient enough this time around to do proper training  :-[, although patience with software is not always my long suit  ;D.

Thanks for the information, folk, and for the well-wishes.  While this is not gonna be as serious as open-heart surgery, the medicos say it will require a protracted recovery time.  Part of that is due to the fact that they won't do both arms at the same time, their reasoning being that I'd be basically helpless  :o afterward.  Probably TMI, but the condition is akin to carpal tunnel - the medicos told me to think of it as extended or super carpal tunnel.  Don't care what they call it, as long as they can fix it  ;).

Once again, thank you all.

(Edited for typos.)

CodeTRUCKER:
Timing is everything!  I *just* got off with the phone with my wife who was standing in an "Office Depot!"  I found this thread because I, "just wanted to check out what DC might have to say,,," and BINGO!  It was already done for me!  :)

I, too, appreciate all the comments on Dragon, but was wondering how it compares to the native SAPI5 available with the Vista OS?

kip:
Guys, I demo DNS for clients in situations similar to those barney describes on a day to day basis as part of my work.  DNS has been pretty hot stuff since V10, and if you have good vocal control you can get away without doing any initial training if you want, just set up your headset and away you go. 
To answer CodeTRUCKER, VR in Vista is pants, however it is pretty damn good in Win 7, but it has limitations on voice control and software compatibility which can be overcome more easily with DNS. 
The extra bonus with DNS is the macros are written using a subset of VBA, so you can really make it sit up and sing if you want to.  Another advantage to DNS is you can alter a large number of the built in commands to more memorable words and phrases if you want. 
OS VR does not give you macros or the option to alter the commands.
Hope this helps.

barney:
subset of VBA, so you can really make it sit up and sing
--- End quote ---
Now that is an intriguing statement at the very least.  Does the product provide instruction in that capability, or is it something to be researched?  Not a deal-breaker either way, but a definite curiosity.  Sounds as if it would be the equivalent of ShortKeys, which I use for mucho PHP scripting.  If so, could make the learning curve much more pleasant - not less steep, just more pleasant  :P.

40hz:
+1 with barney.

I vaguely remember hearing about that. (And it went in one ear and out the other like so much else does with me these days...)  ;D

@kip - Thanks for bringing that to our attention! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version