ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are "you" "your friend"?

<< < (3/5) > >>

nosh:
A friend in kneed is a friend to bleed.
--- End quote ---

Sweet!  ;D

lls:
To tell you the truth, my intention was not to bring about neither a tongue-in-cheek nor philosophical discussion. What I really wanted to know was whether "Be the first of your friends to like this" is a linguistically and logically correct sentence.

Shades:
Ok, on-topic:

First, to be clear, English is not my native language, but I consider myself reasonable adept with the language. The sentence the OP mentions sounds wrong to me. But a lot of English does, since the "curse" of SMS text messaging reared it's ugly head.

That and the general lack of interest of people nowadays show for the language results in the above sentences being accepted.

My English teacher always subtracted one full point out of a maximum of 10 (A+) for every (grammatical) mistake in each of his tests. Against that I learned the language, so I feel that I have put in a lot more effort to learn than a lot of native speakers. A waste if you ask me, but hey...get of my lawn!   

cranioscopical:
get of my lawn!
-Shades (November 20, 2010, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Another grass-roots problem?

Renegade:
My English teacher always subtracted one full point out of a maximum of 10 (A+) for every (grammatical) mistake in each of his tests. Against that I learned the language, so I feel that I have put in a lot more effort to learn than a lot of native speakers. A waste if you ask me, but hey...get of my lawn!   
-Shades (November 20, 2010, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh! I had teachers like that! :) They really do their students a good service by cracking the whip.

This is something that's rather sad - that so many people never learn to speak their own language properly. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version