ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

Don't forget Syncback !!!!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Armando:
No way to recover the incremental backups
--- End quote ---
What do you mean by that?

urlwolf:
Well, if you want to have the latest version of every file, you have to either know where it is (unlikely) or copy "by hand" every folder cronologically on top of each other so it does get that latest version of everything.
Crazy, don't you think? That's my only gripe. Unfortunately, some users don't care about this feature, and the developer said that it will be months before he implements proper incremental recovery, so I'm still in the market for a backup utility.

Otherwise, it is a very nice application.

jdd:
urlwolf, I also use SB so I want to make sure I uderstand your comment.   Do you mean to say that the recovery will restore ALL the files, including the incremental backups whereas you would like the ability to restore only the incremental portion of the backup set?  Did I get that right because now I am worried that I may have lsot some files during a recent restore operation.

Thanks,
jdd

urlwolf:
No, you don't lose them.
Ideally, what it'd do is the following.
You point SB to a folder of a long list of daily incremental backups dated say yesterday. It should be smart enough to recover ALL files since day 1 and overwrite the new ones in cronological order. End result: you have the most current version of everything. Right now, it doesn't do that: it recovers whatever is in that folder (say: yesterday files) and that's it.

This is so shocking that I thought it was impossible that the program didn't offer that feature. I asked in the forums, and it doesn't! (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

mwb1100:
I think there might be some confusion with terminology.  I think urlwolf is talking about versioned backups, where more than one version of a file is kept in the backup store (correct me if I'm wrong, urlwolf).

Syncback does support 'incremental' backups, such that only the files modified since the last backup are copied to the backup location.  However,  SyncBack does not really support versioned backups - they can be simulated using variables similar to environment variables to change the backup destination based on the date of the backup.

SyncBack's restore functionality does not know anything about the multiple possible backup destinations, so it does not automatically get the latest version of a file from the entire set of possible backup locations.  If you're doing a full restore, to get the latest files you have to restore from the oldest backup destination, the the next newest, etc. until you get to the newest backup destination.  To restore a single file, you have to look in the various backup locations to find the newest one.

True versioning support is a frequently requested feature on SyncBack's forum; I believe that 2BrightSparks have indicated it will be in the future release of 'SyncBack Pro', but there is no estimated date for that release.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version