ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: UpdateVersion

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ath:
Hm, though this is useful, you do know that Inno Setup with the ISPP preprocessor (comes standard with the Quick Setup Pack) does have fabulous support for pre-compile scripting/processing, amongst which is version extraction from exe/dll version resources, and even from textfiles when pressed? I'd not pursue in this direction further as it's 'already there'...
Examples and much more is available from the news groups at the jrsoftware.org site.

Inno Setup is ofcourse the best choice you can make for a free installer tool :Thmbsup:

phitsc:
Thanks Ath. No, I didn't know. Well, it's not really a question of pursuing any further as what I need is already implemented in UpdateVersion. In fact, I've implemented UpdateVersion before I even thought about using Inno Setup to make an installer. I would also guess that there's no Inno Setup script yet that can update files required by DCUpdater? So I would have had to implement them anyway. But you might be right in that it would haven been better to do that with ISPP instead of C++ ;)

Ath:
ISPP can handle quite some stuff, but as I said, you have to press it a little (meaning it's not really easy)
It can update external files, but afaics, it doesn't handle s&r based on regex's, but a simple s&r it should be capable of. And looking at the help, it seems it can only write in ini format files...
And then there's the occasional Exec(), ofcourse, so some external tool can come in handy ;)

worstje:
This looks like an awesome tool, and I wish I looked into it before the screencasts came out. :-[

However, as much as there is the ability for me to test and prod around with test files, I'd love to have a bit more verbose output possible, so I can see exactly what lines / tags it adjusts. As it is now, I've got a preprelease.bat sitting in the directories of my tools, and that one prepares the appropriate packages for my files (copying files from build/editing locations), which then does the zipping up and/or ISS compilation.

So, stuff I'd love to see added:

* A verbose switch to see what lines it adjusts in what files.
* An ability not to update the FileSize in the pad_file, as it differs considerably for my JottiQ releases and I use a hardcoded size of the installer instead. (It seems the most appropriate size.)
* Same with long and short descriptions, as I don't believe those files match my executable very well (if I even use them - I don't remember.)

mouser:
An ability not to update the FileSize in the pad_file
--- End quote ---

i dont pay the slightest attention to filesize in my pad files -- i just make up numbers.  it's too hard to keep updated and no one seems to care.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version