ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

iPod - tell me why I should buy one

<< < (4/13) > >>

superboyac:
OK, I'm very familiar with this subject.  Here's how I decided to get my player, which is a Sony player very similar to the model above, but the higher end one.  I got the Sony because the sound quality is what I made my priority.  Sony's sound quality is noticeably better than Apple's, something I was initially skeptical about.  Apple sounds muffled compared to Sony.  So that was a very strong priority for me.

The one thing that I would say Apple does way better than anyone is getting music onto the ipod.  With itunes and the ipod, it's easy to get songs on, whether you buy it from itunes, already have files on your computer, or just have cd's you want to put it on.  Apple does that with the least amount of hassle.  now, getting it OFF the player is a different story.  It's going to be a hassle trying to use your itune files on other computers, or getting it off of the player, or pretty much anything that doesn't involve the specific itunes/ipod combination that is your "homebase".  I hate that, so I'll never get an ipod because of that alone.

If you are willing to deal with a little bit of hassle of getting music on your player, which means downloading drivers, possibly using 3rd party tools, reading forums for troubleshooting, maybe spending a day figuring out the file transfer procedure...then you should get something other than Apple.  Because you will have better options regarding sound quality, interfaces, sharing files, using the device on other computers, drm issues, etc.

That's my advice.

skwire:
My daughter has an iPod Nano and we've NEVER used iTunes so I don't think this "iTunes lock-in" issue is much of an issue at all.  I just use SharePod to transfer files from the file server to her iPod.  As for me, I have the same exact player as app's daughter, a Sony NWZS545BLK 16GB.  I chose it because:

* I'm not a fan of the touchwheel interface of the iPods.
* It was inexpensive.
* You can navigate via the folder structure you used when putting files on it.
* Doubles as a voice recorder in a pinch.
I really only use it on the plane when taking business trips.  In addition to music, I'll usually convert a few tv shows or anime episodes and watch them as well.  The 2.4" screen is suprisingly watchable...even on a plane.  

Target:
all good stuff, but I'm still not convinced :-\

I like the look of the sony's, and it's good to know there's no proprietry software req's (I had a vague feeling that this wasn' always the case).  FWIW the model quoted is listed at $250 here

The only other option I can turn up are a couple of IRivers - anyone have any experience with the later units?

Darwin:
My daughter has an iPod Nano and we've NEVER used iTunes so I don't think this "iTunes lock-in" issue is much of an issue at all. -skwire (November 17, 2010, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is, but it isn't... You HAVE to have iTunes to transfer music to and from an iPod Touch or an iPhone. Howver, the Nano and the Classic are recognized as thumbdrives. Thanks for reminding us of that (I had forgotten - again because of my focus on the Touch  :-[).

FWIW the model quoted is listed at $250 here
-Target (November 17, 2010, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Holy Carp! I can get it here (the Canadian sticks) for $89.99 on sale - it' s regular $129. That's outrageous  >:(

superboyac:
By the way, the little tiny square nano's that are new, look so good. mmm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version