ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is "Quick Format" safe?

<< < (2/7) > >>

f0dder:
I normally do a full format when I purchase a new drive, exactly to check for any bad sectors - besides, the last 4 drives I've purchased have been for external storage, and processed with TrueCrypt... for security reasons, TC volumes shouldn't be quickformatted unless you're going to fill them to the brink right away.

As for data security, a normal non-quick format (which just means zero-filling all sectors - there's really no such thing as a "low-level format" anymore, after a drive leaves the factory) is just fine. People that still cling on to "military grade security multi-level formatting as prescribed by Gutmann" should check out what Gutmann himself writes - things have changed since the old MFM drives the article was originally written for :)

Bottom line: a single zero-fill pass (or random-data if you insist) is good enough. If you suspect the NSA is after you, it's probably still good enough, but you might want to incinerate the drive just in case.

EDIT 2010-11-16: whoop, apparently a non-quick format doesn't zero-fill sectors, so you do need a disk wiper - I still stand by a single-pass wipe being perfectly good enough, though.

EDIT 2012-11-19: whoop, you live, you learn. Quoting from Change in the behavior of the format command in Windows Vista:
The format command behavior has changed in Windows Vista. By default in Windows Vista, the format command writes zeros to the whole disk when a full format is performed. In Windows XP and in earlier versions of the Windows operating system, the format command does not write zeros to the whole disk when a full format is performed.
--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
On a new drive I don't see a problem with doing a QF. Reinstalling on an old drive, while I prefer a full format, the default format used by Windows Vista/7 during install appears to be a Quick Format ... Because it usually done in seconds.

KynloStephen66515:
While you can use secure deletion software that is often touted as "military secure", US security policies for data deletion require incinerating the drive.
-Renegade (November 15, 2010, 02:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
So, if I turn off all of the fans in my machineā€¦
-cranioscopical (November 15, 2010, 02:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

and place it next to an external heater, turned on full on a 35c day?

wraith808:
I use quick format anytime that I'm formatting a drive for myself that I have been using previously and having no problems with.  And I've never had a problem with it, personally.  /me shrugs

MilesAhead:
If you change the partition type I highly recommend the full format.  I've had experience with USB keys changing from FAT32 to NTFS or vice/versa where copying data on gave no error.  But reading it back "ran out of file" at some point.  When formatting the file system type for the first time I'd say always do the full format.  The quick format amounts to a quick erase.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version