ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: Cautomaton

<< < (7/10) > >>

worstje:
Hopefully, something. Probably nothing. Does that sound as confusing as it is?

I'll paste the documentation and let you decide for yourself... and ironically, while trying to answer your question, I just found two different documents that give rather different descriptions.

CMIC_MASK_ASYNCOK (/i:a)

Wait for the DDE conversation to terminate before returning.

CMIC_MASK_NOASYNC (/i:w)

Windows Vista and later. The implementation of IContextMenu::InvokeCommand should be synchronous, not returning before it is complete. Since this is recommended, calling applications that specify this flag cannot guarantee that this request will be honored if they are not familiar with the implementation of the verb that they are invoking.-CMINVOKECOMMANDINFO Structure
--- End quote ---

CMIC_MASK_ASYNCOK (/i:a)

The implementation of IContextMenu::InvokeCommand can spin off a new thread or process to handle the call and does not need to block on completion of the function being invoked. For example, if the verb is "delete" the IContextMenu::InvokeCommand call may return before all of the items have been deleted. Since this is advisory, calling applications that specify this flag cannot guarantee that this request will be honored if they are not familiar with the implementation of the verb that they are invoking.

CMIC_MASK_NOASYNC (/i:w)

Windows Vista and later. The implementation of IContextMenu::InvokeCommand should be synchronous, not returning before it is complete. Since this is recommended, calling applications that specify this flag cannot guarantee that this request will be honored if they are not familiar with the implementation of the verb that they are invoking.-CMINVOKECOMMANDINFOEX Structure
--- End quote ---

I was using the latter as my reference while developing. So not only does Microsofts own documentation seem unclear and confused on what it means, to add insult to injury the 'wait' variety is Vista+ only and FULLY OPTIONAL. The latter is most likely the reason you see no difference - Winzip probably sees no difference between the two.

Re-reading this, I am half of a mind to include what is atm known as the /i:a option and remove that one completely, leaving just the /i:w variety. The mention of DDE I see now makes me suggest it is ancient history and not so important (DDE pretty much became legacy back in w95).

And in case /i:w does not work as hoped, I intend to add a couple of 'bandaids' to handle specific waiting scenarios. :)

cranioscopical:
Hopefully, something. Probably nothing.
-worstje (November 16, 2010, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
You must be prescient — that answers my next question, viz. 'What happens when I'm required to decide for myself?'

worstje:
Sadly, I need to announce I won't be getting around to making a new release anymore, at least not for as far NANY 2011 deadlines are concerned. I intend to work on it in 2011 though, and take care of the outstanding issues when time becomes available, but between this and JottiQ, the latter just took way more time. Hell, it needs way more polish by nature.

I don't think the lack of a newer release from v0.8.3 will be a problem though, as the one feature that was missing is something mouser already has a solution for. (He was the one to request the app as a coding snack in the first place after all!) So hereby please consider v0.8.3 the official entry for NANY 2011.

.. And yes, JottiQ v1.0.0 will be arriving soon. :)

cranioscopical:
I won't be getting around to making a new release anymore, at least not for as far NANY 2011 deadlines are concerned. I intend to work on it in 2011 though
-worstje (December 31, 2010, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's pretty neat already! I'll be interested in what 2011 brings.

Perry Mowbray:
So hereby please consider v0.8.3 the official entry for NANY 2011.
-worstje (December 31, 2010, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks!  :Thmbsup:

Fully polished programmes are always going to be an issue... I think it's wonderful that you've got to this point!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version