ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Download managers: Get your fingers out of my browser!!

(1/4) > >>

superboyac:
I like download managers in general.  Most of them are pretty decent and I have no problem with them for the most part.  The only issue I have is that they make it VERY hard to control.  You all know what I mean.  Occasionally, you want the download manager to NOT get involved in a particular download.  Most of the ones I've tried make this a painful process.  First, most of them have a hotkey combo to bypass the download manager...but it doesn't always work.  I've felt they hardly ever work.  but that may be just me.  Fine.  Secondly, you may say "fuck it" and just exit/close the entire download manager application.  I don't mean minimize to tray...I mean really close it.  BUT...even when you do this, it always gets reincarnated as soon as you click a program to download.  Then you search through the options to try to turn that feature off, but it will not be clear which option controls that.  Then, after fiddling around for a while, you realize that it's not downloading anything at all now!

I just need a simple bypass option sometimes.  And for pete's sake, when I turn the program off...STAY OFF.  They all get reanimated like some bad zombie movie.  One of the few genres of programs that tend to do that universally.

sajman99:
True enough these Browser Helper Objects can sometimes be Browser Annoying Objects. ;D

I've used Internet Download Manager for a long while, and it's usually easy to override that download manager with the default ALT + mouse click. Only thing is I sometimes release ALT too soon and IDM steps up anyway. But the overall experience is pretty smooth-- it's there when I need it and absent when unwanted.

40hz:
I feel your pain. I get pretty snarked when anything on my machine springs into action because IT decided it was needed.

I use Free Download Manager. I set it to only come up if I do a control-click on a download link. The rest of the time, the downloads are handled by the browser.  :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
Yeah, IDM is my favorite of the bunch.  But it's hell turning it off for good without uninstalling it.

I've tried FDM several times, and I still don't know how to set it up to ONLY download when I do the cnrl-click.  But you don't have to bother explaining it, I'm not using it currently.  I'm just complaining that's all.  I'm guessing I'm going to do a lot of posting in this sub-forum from here on out.  Just complaints.

app103:
I have been using Flashget for years, but without the BHO installed. When I started using it, it was in an unsupported browser and I had to use the drop target feature, where you drag a link to be downloaded from your browser to a little box to activate it. This required me to make the conscious decision to launch the download manager by choice, first, then drag the links to it to be downloaded. It does not pop up when I do not want it to...it can't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version