ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

pin a document to start menu

<< < (3/11) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Pin document to start menu in XP? ...I thought that was a Vista/7 only option...Guess it's been awhile since I used XP much.  :-[

Anyhow, the pin to start menu rules require that the item being pinned is (machine local and) an .exe/.msc/etc.. So if you want to pin something else you need to trick Windows into it. Start with an .exe target (that's on LM) to get the shortcut pinned, then edit the shortcut to point to (where/) what you really want. I've done this on Win7 to pin some apps that are in a network share to the start menu here at the office.

Deozaan:
Something that would be useful is something that adds to the context Menu

Send To -> Start Menu (create Shortcut) would be awesome in XP.

app103:
Pin document to start menu in XP? ...I thought that was a Vista/7 only option...Guess it's been awhile since I used XP much.  :-[

Anyhow, the pin to start menu rules require that the item being pinned is (machine local and) an .exe/.msc/etc.. So if you want to pin something else you need to trick Windows into it. Start with an .exe target (that's on LM) to get the shortcut pinned, then edit the shortcut to point to (where/) what you really want. I've done this on Win7 to pin some apps that are in a network share to the start menu here at the office.
-Stoic Joker (November 10, 2010, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nonsense! You can put a shortcut to any file type there. You can even make folders and drop the shortcuts in to sort them how you like.

Don't work with the start menu directly...open the folder for it in Explorer:

pin a document to start menu

techidave:
Oops, I found them when I goto Start>all programs> and at the very top just under windows update.  But I would like them on the start menu without going this deep.

just on a hunch i have disabled all my multi monitor software but without success.

dave

Stoic Joker:

-Stoic Joker (November 10, 2010, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nonsense! You can put a shortcut to any file type there. You can even make folders and drop the shortcuts in to sort them how you like.-app103 (November 10, 2010, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ya know I did add a disclaimer that stipulated I was working it from the Vista/7 angle - which do impose the limits I'd mentioned for pinning an item to the (first level) Start Panel.

But you are correct for XP (I fired up a virtual copy in the lab to be sure I wasn't nutz) you can pin anything to the Start Panel - I even got a document (not a short cut to it) to stick in there. So Techidave should be safe once he turns off the customization-ware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version