ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

25 Ubuntu tips for beginners

<< < (2/2)

40hz:
www.howtoforge.com has a series of distro specific articles on setting up the "Perfect Desktop" and "Perfect Server."

The "perfect" part may be up for debate, but the articles are great for slightly advanced beginners who have enough smarts to follow a step-by-step.

Here's the links for Ubuntu 10.10 and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS desktops. Browse around for other distros, versions, or server setups.

Also take a look around the rest of howtoforge.com while you're there. Lots of good info to be found even if the navigation scheme and overall site structure leaves a bit to be desired.

-----

@Deo: Ever consider becoming the author of DC's first member created Newbie Ubuntu Setup Guide? Just think...Cody and Tux: together at last!  ;D  :Thmbsup:

Deozaan:
Just think...Cody and Tux: together at last!  ;D  :Thmbsup:-40hz (November 10, 2010, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

That does bring to mind some amusing scenarios. :P

Renegade:
+1 for Deozaan.

Great break-down of things there. :)

zridling:
I'm always suspicious of these kind of lists that have more than ten items or steps. I'd rather the author make the best list and whatever that number turns out to be, then that's the best list. For example, "13 Tips for Beginners" when pushing 25 usually includes suggestions like "Change the wallpaper." Yea, I think I can handle that. But then again, beginners might not know where to look at the UI in order to do something so simple (to us).

Renegade:
I'm always suspicious of these kind of lists that have more than ten items or steps. I'd rather the author make the best list and whatever that number turns out to be, then that's the best list. For example, "13 Tips for Beginners" when pushing 25 usually includes suggestions like "Change the wallpaper." Yea, I think I can handle that. But then again, beginners might not know where to look at the UI in order to do something so simple (to us).
-zridling (November 12, 2010, 09:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Top # lists tend to be little more than media whoring most of the time. Heck, I've done it. But my media whoring top 10 lists are really with the greater good in mind:

Top 10 Ways to Prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse

My interests are purely in saving lives! ;)

But really, a lot of lists are very good, but they're often a cop-out for not having any ideas for anything to write about. 25 is extreme. Sometimes they are good, but often... Lame.

10 is a good number. You can easily write a little drivel on 10. The top 5 above is a good indication that 25 can be boiled down. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version