ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SMF or phpBB... that is the question?

(1/8) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
Issue ResolvedPlease keep reading if you like, but this issue has been resolved.  See below or click this shortcut.

A little background...
I have been trying to establish a FHN (Family Heritage Network) for my family and extended family since last September.  We have tried to use some FSNs (Family Social Networks), but either were too expensive or inadequate for our purposes.  

Since forums like SMF and phpBB allows threads, pictures and links I am persuaded establishing our own and having it hosted somewhere for the long-term (read: 50+ years) is our family's best option.

DC uses SMF and I have enjoyed using DC, especially with the great mods, but I have been experimenting with SMF and phpBB "out-of-the-box" and they seem to be in a dead-heat.Kudos to Cody!Note: One really can't appreciate all that mouser and his crew have done at DonationCoder until you use a stock SMF installation!  The modifications that have been added and or programmed into the DC forum are a part of what has made DonationCoder such a great forum experience, second only to the people that have given DC a rich identity.  Other admins would do well to follow DC's example. :Thmbsup:
I really can't see much beyond style.  Even the Admin *seems* to be the same, but I haven't dug much beneath the first layer.  I am only test-driving both and I am sure I won't hit any snags until we are actually using our FHN.  I am sure you all know how those nasty little bugs hide until the project goes live, hmmm?   ;)

Our Needs...

* Record writings to preserve for future generations.
* Record events for recollection and comment.
* Ongoing discussions varied topics
* Attach pictures, create galleries and have the freedom to caption and/or comment.
* Link to other threads/posts/websites.
* Have a shoutbox for quick comments and announcements.
* Anything else that would add to creating a permanent interactive archive for an extended family.
The questions...
 Does anyone have experience with both SMF and phpBB and what are the strengths or weaknesses over the other?

Can any DC staff comment on why SMF was chosen for "Cody's Home?"

Are there any other better candidates than SMF or phpBB that have emerged recently?  If so, why do you think the new is better then the established workhorses?

Thanks to all for the help!
CT

<Edit - Added "Our Needs..." section.  Thanks f0dder!>

f0dder:
Perhaps you should detail your needs a bit more?

I'd be inclined to look at Vanilla, since it's simple and clean - but it's also pretty vanilla out of the box, which (last time I did an install) meant no avatars and such unless you install plugins.

CodeTRUCKER:
Perhaps you should detail your needs a bit more?
-f0dder (November 06, 2010, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Done!  Thanks for the suggestion. :Thmbsup:

I'd be inclined to look at Vanilla, since it's simple and clean - but it's also pretty vanilla out of the box, which (last time I did an install) meant no avatars and such unless you install plugins.

--- End quote ---

Why do you think Vanilla would be better than SMF or phpBB?

mahesh2k:
Phpbb has lot of security issues in comparison to vanila,smf. smf is rarely updating these days, version 2 is taking close to 3 yrs of public release.

vanila requires lot of plugins to operate but its easy to design,simple and clutter free.

Carol Haynes:
Do you honestly think any of these technologies will still be viable in 10 years time - let alone 50 years?

Think back 50 years - what was computer technology and the internet like in 1960 ?

Change is still accelerating so what is it going to be like in 2060 ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version