ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

nutrasweet and diet soda a neurotoxin - new study and article

<< < (2/4) > >>

mrainey:
As far as I know, everybody agrees that Splenda is safe, plus it tastes fine.  Splenda is in one of the Pepsi diet colas, and maybe some others.

allen:
As far as I know, everybody agrees that Splenda is safe, plus it tastes fine.  Splenda is in one of the Pepsi diet colas, and maybe some others.
-mrainey (February 13, 2006, 02:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

We all had to know it was coming . . . recent research says otherwise regarding splenda being a healthy alternative sweetner.  Risks including prolonged pregnancy, low birth weight, failed pregnancy, liver/kidney damage, depression . . .

. . . and some interesting info.

Nothing is safe :D

mrainey:
I get my food safety info primarily from the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI).  They're an extremely skeptical outfit, and very much oriented toward consumer safeguards and truth in labeling.

This is clearly an area, like politics and religion, where people have wide differences of opinion.

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200502141.html

Today we're talking about Splenda, which contains the artificial sweetener sucralose. The product itself appears to be safe. Unlike sugar and high-fructose corn syrup, it is low in calories and does not promote tooth decay.

http://www.cspinet.org/reports/chemcuisine.htm

Approved in the United States in 1998, sucralose — marketed as Splenda — is used in soft drinks, baked goods, ice cream, sweetener packets, and other products. It previously had been used in Canada, Europe, and elsewhere. Sucralose is safer than saccharin, acesulfame-K, and cyclamate. The manufacturer, McNeil Nutritionals, advertises Splenda as being "made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar." That statement may be literally true, but is misleading. In fact, the sweetener is a synthetic chemical that is made by chemically reacting sugar (sucrose) with chlorine. However, just because it is synthetic does not mean it is unsafe.

allen:
Those sources don't say much, though. "Seems" unsafe and "Just because it's synthetic doesn't mean it's unsafe" don't terrify me, but they don't do much by way of lending me confidence either.

If I really cared about these things, I personally wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket -- or rely on one source.  Usually the truth lies somewhere between the two extreme views, very seldom absolutely on one side or the other.

housetier:
I eat want I want to eat.

If you "listen" to your body, it will tell you what it needs. That's what we have appetite for. On rare occasions I ind myself picturing pineapples or bananas; there is something in these fruits my body cannot get elsewhere. Same happens with eggs: every once in a while I fix myself a rather large serving of scrambled eggs (with all kids of yummy seasoning and addons and...). After eating that I feel very fine again.

I had to train myself to listen to my body more. Most people mistake hunger for thirst; while there are fluids in most foods and the feeling goes away ater having eaten something, a cup/glass of <your favorite liquid> would have helped also and reduced calory intake at the same time. (wow complicated sentence, I hope I correctly came out of that mess) People can learn to only eat what they need and want, and not what they are used to. Basically I want to encourage people to eat anything and everything they want, as long as they make a concious decision and then enjoy it.

Eating is fun, you should enjoy it. It is not about guilt, about feeling bad afterwards. Media coverage in the past has been vey confusing, even contradicting: ...I just don't know who to listen to anymore.
--- End quote ---
It's time to go back to enjoying food and eating, not thinking about all the (bad) consequences but to make a conscious decision: "I want to eat that and I want to enjoy it." Once you get to that point, your life will have become easier; you will less to worry about.

I hope I could make my points clear...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version