topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Outlook Sort/Group question  (Read 2407 times)

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Outlook Sort/Group question
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:59 PM »
I own a copy of Outlook, came with Office XP (2002).  I use Outlook Express for my email, but I'm going thru several hundred emails given to me in a .pst file.  I figured I'd be better off loading it into Outlook and keeping those messages separate from my own email.

Outlook is easy enough to figure out, but I'm not able to do something I'm accustomed to (and find quite useful) in Outlook Express.

I want to group/thread the messages by subject, but sort the threads by earliest date.  So a thread that started in 2006 would display before a thread that started in 2007.  But each thread would be together, either sorted internally by date/time, or threaded if there were multiple replies to various messages in the thread.

This is easy to do in Outlook Express: View>Current View>Group by Conversation in order to group by subject, and then click the "Recieved" header in order to sort the conversations chronologically.

I want to do the same thing in Outlook:  Group the messages by subject, but display the groups in chronological order.  Right now the best I can do is sort the groups alphabetically, so a 2010 group can come before a group of 2006 msgs if it's subject starts with an "A" as opposed to a "Z".