ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How many times do I have to update my mutherf---ing Flash??

<< < (4/6) > >>

superboyac:
How about this one?

In Ubuntu if I try to watch YouTube videos, YouTube tells me I need to update to the latest Flash player, but clicking the link to Adobe's website I am informed that Chromium comes with the latest version of Flash installed. Huh?
-Deozaan (November 01, 2010, 08:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sheesh.  You know, I'm very sensitive about the impressions I give off about myself: as you know, I'll come off as a whining, irritable, negative, etc...kind of person.  And it's true, I can't deny it.  But I can't stop myself from thinking through all this stuff, and the more I learn and discover, the more AARRGH I get!  Haha...I know...and these forums get me even more so because I have to social inhibitions...so i feel I'm just ranting left and right.  Again, i want to be a problem solver...not a whine...I'm working on it.

Anyway...back to the point.  So I'm thinking through this flash stuff and asking: what is really the problem here?  What is the annoying thing and what is Adobe really trying to accomplish here?  Why did Flash become this thing it has become?  An the long and the short of it is...they have gotten the word "Flash" into everyone's head, geek or not, and that's all they need.  Because Flash isn't really a product.  it's not something that we would go out and buy.  Like, we don't go out and buy mp3 decoders, or other decoders, or html, you know?  So, very cleverly, they've made it very "normal" for people to treat Flash like it's a regular piece of software, when it's really just a tool to show website content.  And because it's so widespread, you HAVE to have it.  So they've made sure we see Flash and say Flash all the time.  Now, everyone knows Flash as much as they know Windows, Mac, Internet Explorer, etc.  You don't see Ajax popping it's head out all over the place.  My friends won't know what Ajax is.
Anyway, good job Adobe.  Way to nag us into popularity.  it's like the annoying boy who goes after the girl but has zero charm and just nags her until she gives in.

Darwin:
 ;D maybe Jobs and his cronies are onto something, eh?!

AndyM:
It's just effective marketing, which is about manipulating minds (a good product just makes that easier but is plainly not required).  The system selects mostly by money, which is accumulated mostly by effective marketing.

But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

katykaty:
Why don't you just turn off the automatic updates?

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager05.html

superboyac:
Why don't you just turn off the automatic updates?

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager05.html
-katykaty (November 02, 2010, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
because I've turned it off in the past.  Then, one day, there's a stupid error out of the blue.  Then you have to reinstall/uninstall a few times until everything gets working.  Then you have to remember, 'Oh, I have to go back and turn off updates again" because, of course, as soon as you reinstall, the updates will be back on.  And, of course, there's no obvious way to change the setting.  You change it through their website?  How weird is that?  Yeah...they didn't do that intentionally. sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version