ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Laptop choice: better CPU or more RAM ?

<< < (5/6) > >>

f0dder:
All these "glare-type" displays actually suck.-Tuxman (October 31, 2010, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Depends on where you're going to use your laptop, and what you're using it for.

Makes it pretty much impossible to use outside in sunshine, but it's a nice crisp display when used inside. YMMV.

Stoic Joker:
Makes it pretty much impossible to use outside in sunshine, but it's a nice crisp display when used inside. YMMV.-f0dder (November 01, 2010, 03:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

:huh: Being that one of the items on my to-do list is to spec a new laptop for a client that frequently works outside (in sunshine) ... What exactly are "we" calling a "Glare-Type Display"?

Tuxman:
When used inside, some modern laptops won't even allow me to turn on a lamp.  ;D

tomos:
Makes it pretty much impossible to use outside in sunshine, but it's a nice crisp display when used inside. YMMV.-f0dder (November 01, 2010, 03:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

:huh: Being that one of the items on my to-do list is to spec a new laptop for a client that frequently works outside (in sunshine) ... What exactly are "we" calling a "Glare-Type Display"?
-Stoic Joker (November 01, 2010, 06:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure...  I guess 'reflective'
The Thinkpad listed wouldnt be a good enough screen really ( even though it is matt - better than many, but not really bright enough for sunshine - from what I read)

f0dder:
FWIW: my girlfriend had 2x2048meg DDR2-667 laptop memory modules lying around that she didn't use, so I swapped my 1x2048meg DDR2-800 module for those. The only benchmark I've done is running WinRAR's built-in benchmark (x64 version, 3.92, multithreaded). Dualcore Core2 [email protected].

Performance went from ~1060kb/s -> ~1020kb/s... that's a 3.77% performance degradation, even though the RAM is theoretically 16.63% slower. OTOH the system should be able to take advantage of dual-channel memory, but then there's also the module latency to take into consideration - I haven't checked the latency of the modules.

Are you be able to feel a less than 4% performance drop? It's nothing, and compared to hardly ever hitting the pagefile because there's double the amount of RAM, more (but slower) memory is a clear benefit for me.

Different apps have different requirements, but even in the performance-critical apps, I dunno just which requires insane RAM bandwidth - as soon as you have heavy processing and aren't just moving data around, bandwidth is less important. And that of course also depends on CPU speed.

YMMV - but if you can get more but (slightly) slower RAM cheaper than less but faster, I'd go for more-but-(slightly)-slower.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version