ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Limewire shutdown, permanently

<< < (8/9) > >>

Darwin:
Holy crap! I'm with Robertson on his perspective. WTF? We used to be able to buy Vinyl, audio cassettes, or CD hard copies and were thus able to convert them as we saw fit (vinyl to cassette, cd to mp3, etc.)... Of course, from a strictly (and ultra-) capitalist perspective, what the copyright/intellectual property owners are doing makes perfect sense - protecting and ensuring a revenue stream.

I suppose we have to consider as well that the copying technology that is readily available to Joe Q public has improved exponentially, along with the ease of sharing media. To make a good copy of, say, a book even 15 years ago took A LOT of effort and, to do it right, VERY expensive equipment that few mortals had access to... Today unless the media is DRM protected endless, perfect, copies of media are possible, along with the ability for individuals to share them.

Waffling... I'll stop now  :-[

Renegade:
Holy crap! I'm with Robertson on his perspective. WTF? We used to be able to buy Vinyl, audio cassettes, or CD hard copies and were thus able to convert them as we saw fit (vinyl to cassette, cd to mp3, etc.)... Of course, from a strictly (and ultra-) capitalist perspective, what the copyright/intellectual property owners are doing makes perfect sense - protecting and ensuring a revenue stream.

I suppose we have to consider as well that the copying technology that is readily available to Joe Q public has improved exponentially, along with the ease of sharing media. To make a good copy of, say, a book even 15 years ago took A LOT of effort and, to do it right, VERY expensive equipment that few mortals had access to... Today unless the media is DRM protected endless, perfect, copies of media are possible, along with the ability for individuals to share them.

Waffling... I'll stop now  :-[
-Darwin (November 03, 2010, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. It's a hard call.

If I buy a pair of sunglasses, I can pretty much do whatever I want and store them wherever I want. If I buy software, I always have the right to store a backup copy of it. Why shouldn't I be able to store music in a cloud service so that I can always be assured that I have it safe in case of a disaster? There's a strong consumer case there.

On the other hand, well, that seems pretty obvious. Don't steal.

Then again, if you come over to my house, you don't need to pay for music I play. But if you come to a private website of mine by invitation (and I do mean a private site in the literal sense), then how is it different? Again, there are cases both ways there.

complearning123:
@Stephen re: the Pirate Bay......rotflmao.....

Deozaan:
This doesn't look good (emphasis added by me):

On Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously approved a bill that would give the Attorney General the right to shut down websites with a court order if copyright infringement is deemed “central to the activity” of the site — regardless if the website has actually committed a crime. The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) is among the most draconian laws ever considered to combat digital piracy, and contains what some have called the “nuclear option,” which would essentially allow the Attorney General to turn suspected websites “off.”-http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/11/coica-web-censorship-bill/
--- End quote ---

JavaJones:
Fortunately then this happened:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/oregon-senator-vows-block-internet-censorship-bill/

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version