ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the heck am I doing wrong with MS Word page numbering?

<< < (3/4) > >>

AndyM:
I've seen a lot written about corrupted Word docs, but I haven't read much carefully since I've never had one.  I do remember that list numbering was often the culprit.

Are all these problems happening with the same document, or versions of the same document?

superboyac:
I've seen a lot written about corrupted Word docs, but I haven't read much carefully since I've never had one.  I do remember that list numbering was often the culprit.

Are all these problems happening with the same document, or versions of the same document?
-AndyM (October 29, 2010, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
No, this is a different document.  I don't use any autonumbering on lists, that's why I asked for the List Numberer program that skwire recently created.  The only automated stuff I do is with the table of contents and page numbering.

AndyM:
One corrupted document would have been too easy  :-[

I'm pretty sure the page numbering and toc numbering uses the same numbering system as the field numbering or automatic list numbering.  Also, the problems I refer to were re Word 2002 and maybe 2003.  I don't know if MS fixed it in 2007 or 2010.

When you view the actual page number fields, do you see anything unusual?  I was going to ask you about your toc, but I realize I don't remember enough of what I learned when I was doing them, and I never did that many.  I did do some tweaking using styles.  It might be worth checking that all your headers have the same style/styles however you intended.    

Sorry if this one is too obvious - are you editing the document on different computers with different printers?

Have you asked about this in one of the microsoft.public.word newsgroups (microsoft.public.word.numbering or microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs - there's a proper way to cross-post)?  The old newsgroups are still being maintained, just not on microsoft servers.  I use nntp.aioe.org.  The "official" microsoft newsgroups, where I think most of the MVPSs hang out, still exist with a web interface, try http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeword
I haven't used them since I haven't had a problem sufficient to register and open an account.  I think maybe you do.

Stoic Joker:
It might be worth checking that all your headers have the same style/styles however you intended.-AndyM (October 29, 2010, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Excellent point.

Inconsistent formatting in large Word documents is a sure fire way to end up with a corrupt file. I had this issue with a client that frequently does complex 50+ page documents that were (passed through the office staff for editing) consistently blowing-up on them. Once they worked out internally how they were all going to handle the formatting, the problem vanished.

superboyac:
I fixed it by going into outline mode.  I saw some weird placement of headers and I fixed it there.

No, I have not used the mvps forums much.  I'm really not that interested in participating in too many forums.  It's frustrating and a waste of time to me.  I come here for most of my questions and it has proven to be very reliable and pleasant (thanks!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version