ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm thinking about learning how to program.

<< < (9/16) > >>

Renegade:
@ superboyac -- Have you tried anything out yet, or decided on what path you'd like to try out?

steeladept:
I have fought with this since VS 2005.  Basically my problem with it is that the IDE is almost more complicated than the code.  I know it is just because I don't know how to use it, but I really need a "how to use Visual Studio" course.  Unfortunately everything is how to program C# or VB.  I don't care about how to program yet another video player.  I need to know how to accomplish certain tasks within the IDE.  I used TextPad for Java and that was just about right as far as complexity, but as Renegade pointed out, it is horrendous if you have to program a UI.  We used NetBeans for that, but even that was clunky at best.  I have had a project in mind for probably 5 years or more now, and even have the "engine" written in Java (It would be a simple task to change it to C# instead).  It is the UI and display that I really need to work with, but just can't find the starting point.

wraith808:
I have fought with this since VS 2005.  Basically my problem with it is that the IDE is almost more complicated than the code.  I know it is just because I don't know how to use it, but I really need a "how to use Visual Studio" course.  Unfortunately everything is how to program C# or VB.  I don't care about how to program yet another video player.  I need to know how to accomplish certain tasks within the IDE.  I used TextPad for Java and that was just about right as far as complexity, but as Renegade pointed out, it is horrendous if you have to program a UI.  We used NetBeans for that, but even that was clunky at best.  I have had a project in mind for probably 5 years or more now, and even have the "engine" written in Java (It would be a simple task to change it to C# instead).  It is the UI and display that I really need to work with, but just can't find the starting point.
-steeladept (October 31, 2010, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Use the standard VS layout.  Get rid of most of the windows, other than the output window, error window, solution window, toolbox window, and properties window.  Dock them where ever you wish.  Profit. 

That's my point... there isn't much you *need* to use.  The basic layout has a couple more windows than I said (find and one more, I think), but they aren't necessary to program.  I came from Delphi 6/7 to VS 2005, and was up and running in no time... it's just a matter of focus, IMO.  You can get distracted by all the bells and whistles, but there's still stuff that I'm learning after being in it for 5 years or so.  I just pick it up as needed/wanted.

Renegade:
I just pick it up as needed/wanted.
-wraith808 (October 31, 2010, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1! :)

MilesAhead:
For a first programming language I think simpler is better. For Python,
print "Hello, World!"

Hello World program is as simple as it gets.
The environment should let you enter stuff like that as well as define classes etc. without a whole bunch of manual intervention. The main decision in Python editor I remember is Tab handling as it effects how sample code from online sites is imported.  The rest of it should be ok out of the box for starting out.  Focus on the programming language rather than the doo-dads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version