ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm thinking about learning how to program.

<< < (3/16) > >>

mouser:
And don't forget to check out the self-teaching programming school on the DonationCoder forum -- it was designed with one purpose in mind, to help motivate people to teach themselves how to program.  Some people find it quite fun!

superboyac:
Turbo Pascal!
Story:
When I was in 11th grade, my Calculus teacher was also the computer science teacher.  He wanted me to take his programming class, but I didn't because it was very early in the morning and interfered with my swim team practice.  I've always kind of regretted that.  I did become pretty good at programming the TI-85 calculator in that class, though.  But everyone had the TI-82 at the time (1995).  He would call me at home once in a while to ask me to program something in the TI-85 to share with the few classmates who also had the TI-85.  What's funny about this story is that the only other time he called home was to tell my mom that I talk too much in class and my ass wasn't in the seat when the bell rang.  So when the phone rang, I was either getting in trouble or being asked to help the teacher.  Teachers often had a love/hate relationship with me.

superboyac:
And don't forget to check out the self-teaching programming school on the DonationCoder forum -- it was designed with one purpose in mind, to help motivate people to teach themselves how to program.  Some people find it quite fun!
-mouser (October 26, 2010, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oh yeah!  i totally forgot about that, thanks.  I'll definitely start there.  The first thing I need to learn is the vocabulary.  Everyone is talking about frameworks, languages, libraries, etc. like I know what they are.  I have no idea.  I call all of that stuff "programming".  As of now, .net, java, C# mean the same thing to me.  I have no clue what the different levels of abstraction mean, so I need to learn that quickly.

superboyac:
My buddy from college also just recommend Python to me to start out with.  I'm definitely going to start with that and see how it goes.  We used to program a bunch of stuff in Matlab together, and he said I'd pick it up fairly easily.

MilesAhead:
The neat thing about Pascal is it was designed as a teaching language. Even if it's not your main choice to program it's very easy to read algorithms written in it.  The first release of the Algorithms book by Robert Sedgewick was written in Pascal. I found it easy to follow.  Kind of fun to code your own sort algorithms and some of those things so you have an idea what's going on when you use the standard "store bought" ones that come with the compiler/framework.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version