ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm thinking about learning how to program.

<< < (11/16) > >>

mouser:
Just a warning -- from what i've seen of people's experiences, it's seems really hard for people to slowly and gradually learn to program over a long period of occasional dabbling.. I suspect it's like learning a spoken language, in that if you don't immerse yourself, the concepts don't stick.

KynloStephen66515:
I suspect it's like learning a spoken language, in that if you don't immerse yourself, the concepts don't stick.
-mouser (October 31, 2010, 08:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

* French:  5 Years learning at high school - Didnt care for it, can speak about 6 words of it.

* Greek: Went to greece for 6 months of each year up until I was 13, can speak pretty fluently now.

* Spanish: Dad spoke fluent spanish, taught me everything I know by not speaking to me in english.

* Italian: Tried, and failed, not had enough interest for things to stick

* Programming (C#): Up until recently, I had tried to learn slowly and surely, didnt work, now im doing it everyday, im getting better and things are sticking

* Web Programming (HTML/PHP): Took a full time course, did it in all my spare time, I wouldnt say im the best in the world, but I'm certainly not that bad  :-\
So by that count, I kinda have to agree with Mr. Mouser there.  :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
If the programming bug bites you'll just get absorbed by it. If not, then forcing it will be drudgery.  Way too many details to do it if you hate it or think you have to.  Just try it and see if you're drawn in.

Otherwise just imagine trying to do something difficult with The Song of the Volga Boatmen playing in the background day after day.

It's more like it chooses you rather than you choosing it.

wraith808:
Just a warning -- from what i've seen of people's experiences, it's seems really hard for people to slowly and gradually learn to program over a long period of occasional dabbling.. I suspect it's like learning a spoken language, in that if you don't immerse yourself, the concepts don't stick.

-mouser (October 31, 2010, 08:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very good advice here. +1

phitsc:
I think it's also important to mention that C# (also Python and others for that matter) are full-fledged programming languages targeted at practical use in productive environments and for that reason come with some advanced and non-trivial concepts. I don't think you can just say: start with C# and it will be easy. There's so much information on the web about theses languages nowadays that it's sometimes hard for the novice to distinguish the basic from the advanced concepts. These languages are definitely not developed to be first programming languages although obviously they do serve well also for that if you find out what features to ignore at the beginning.

I'd also say you can successfully learn how to program even with languages such as C# or C++ if you find and use a good book (or a good teacher  :))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version