ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Quick Comparision of Flickr/ipernity/PicassaWeb

<< < (4/5) > >>

city_zen:
I'm glad you found the information useful, JavaJones
I agree with your views about Facebook's Terms of Service regarding pictures. I also don't feel comfortable leaving my pics on facebook, but I don't go as far as deleting them regularly. I guess I'll just take my chances and hope they never choose one of my wild party pics for one of their ads :D

I really wish there were a better, unified alternative. Maybe something with Facebook Connect so my FB friends could easily comment, but with better ToS than FB itself. Hmm...
-JavaJones (April 21, 2011, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

A couple of alternatives, using 23, that are not exactly what you want but come pretty close, I think:

* When you post a photograph on www.23hq.com, you have a "Post to facebook" button on each page so you can easily transfer that pic to your facebook wall and have your friends see it and comment. Afterwards, you can delete that posting from you wall and the original pic stays in 23
* You could use a facebook RSS app, such as the popular RSS Grafitti, to automatically read your RSS feed at 23 (they do provide an RSS feed for each user) and publish those pictures to your facebook wall. Everything should be automatic. Every time you upload a pic to 23, that photograph would show up on your facebook wall. Of course, you can later delete that post from facebook if so you wish.
I haven't tried any of those alternatives myself but they should work without much trouble.

Have any of you considered self-hosting vs. the big hosted sites discussed here? If so, why did you decide against it?
-JavaJones (April 21, 2011, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

It did cross my mind for a moment but I thought it'd be too much trouble to set up a full gallery application, on top of the required database, just to post pictures. Plus, I'd have to keep it secure and updated. Maybe I'm wrong and it's simpler than it looks, but I decided against it.
Anyway, here's a link to a comparison chart of photo gallery software at Wikipedia: Comparison of photo gallery software

JavaJones:
Thanks for the further info. I've hosted galleries on a number of platforms before. If you're not familiar with hosting your own web apps then it'd be more complicated but I'm fairly experienced with Joomla, SMF forum, and a number of other web systems, so a gallery is not particularly more complicated. That being said again it's the social element that I'd miss with a self-hosting approach. While I love Wikipedia's extensive app comparison lists for jumping off points, they sometimes make the decision harder, not easier, since there are so many options. ;)

The 23-based options seem interesting, but what I really want is people to be able to comment on my photos on *my* site with a Facebook account, and just notify people of a new *gallery* being posted (or new single image optionally, but I tend to upload in batches and wouldn't want to see 70 individual image posts show up on my wall!). I'll look into the options with 23 and see if it can somehow do what I want. The 30 picture per month limit is somewhat frustrating though. If I'm going to pay, I might as well put in slightly more for SmugMug (20 Euro for 23 vs. $40 a year for Smug). SmugMug's presentation and gallery style is still unbeaten as far as I'm concerned (23 is actually somewhat lackluster in this area for picture enlarging in particular).

If I do end up setting up Piwigo or another locally hosted solution I'll let you all know how that goes, hehe.

- Oshyan

city_zen:
what I really want is people to be able to comment on my photos on *my* site with a Facebook account
-JavaJones (April 22, 2011, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe you already know this, but just in case.
Apparently you can do what you want with Smugmug: Contact a Hero and Bug Fixes – February 12, 2009 « The SmugMug Blog :)

We took advantage of Facebook Connect so you can now login to your Facebook account when leaving a comment at SmugMug

--- End quote ---

JavaJones:
Yeah SmugMug seems like the best overall option, I'm just hoping for something that is free, or at least more customizable without paying a lot (the more customizable versions of SmugMug are pricier than I'd like).

- Oshyan

Renegade:
I use a paid Flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryansmyth/

I'm happy with it, but I don't do a lot with it either.

There was a thread a while back about protecting photos, and Flickr does a reasonable job of that. I need to login to easily hotlink to them. (Sure, I could get around it, but whatever. Logging in is easy enough.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version