ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (43/181) > >>

Armando:
Thanks for the info Carol.

I still haven't got the guts to install Neo Pro. But you seem to have found a solution to your woes.
Have you thought off using sonething like Zoot or Ultra Recall to manage your emails?

I'm considering these as potential solutions. Zoot has amazing searching features... You could try the beta and import some pst files into it. I don't know if it can import separate pst files though... Maybe.

yksyks:
alxwz:

Copernic highlights the search term in folder names, Exalead doesn't. None of these finds the folder by its name, sorry. I agree, it's an inconsistency.

Armando:
armando, Dormouse, yksyks:

Maybe some misunderstanding, I do not want to specifically look for folders (which is the case if I revert to a different app like DOpus Find, Locate32 etc. just for a search containing folder names) or use some of the procedures described for X1 or Exalead.

I just want folders to be treated like files or file contents: One search over everything (isn't this what desktop search is all about?), and it will find the a folder with the keyword in its name just like a file with the string in its name or its content.

I read from your replies that almost all programs won't do that.
-alxwz (October 31, 2007, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you misunderstood what I said : X1 does not show folders per se in its results list, BUT will include folder names in its search so that if a file is IN a folder containing one of the keywords you're looking for, you'll see the file in the results list. That means that if a folder contains the keywords your looking for, but it's empty, you'll see nothing, not even the folder name. But if a folder contains 100 files, and its name contains one of your keywords, you'll see 100 files.

Armando:
I got a reply from "likasoft", Archivarius' maker, concerning the 10000 files limit in the trial. They told me they would rethink their protection scheme. I think it's a good move  :Thmbsup:

Darwin:
Yeah, I should have posted this earlier, but I got a batch of responses from the developer a couple of days ago (he must have been on holidays or working on a big project or something) and he said much the same thing. He also indicated that he is working on the Outlook issue but can't give me an timeline for release (I'm guessing it's going to go into version 4 which should be out in the next year, based on his past release rate and the fact that the current version is 3.93).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version