ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (37/181) > >>

Laughing Man:
I use to use GDS. But I stopped cause I hated the search results interface. And the software shells like GDS extreme weren't being updated anymore.

justice:
I'm using copernic at the moment and I really enjoy their interface. It also is the second desktop search not to impact pc performance for me (archivarius is the other one). I was really wanting ti use Google Desktop but it freezes my browser: GDS monitors or takes copies of all websites visited for local searching, however when on an admin account the browser is run as normal user (or limited user) then the browser freezes. The same thing happens with Google Toolbar which means I cannot use it as running the browser (+ email + messenger) as non-admin is an important security precaution which stops me getting any spyware. Windows Desktop search I like because of the integration and support for filetypes but also impacts performance for me. I tried X1 in the past but the interface is too complex for my liking.

rjbull:
I first started with Desktop search progs with Alta Vista (can't remember what they called it)
-Dormouse (October 28, 2007, 07:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

AltaVista Discovery?  Here's a blog post on it.

jamesthebod:
I had been looking around at desktop searches since my copy of X1 seemed to be getting slow at waking up from the tray.  Then after installation of other software it refused to wake up at all.  I uninstalled it completely and re-installed it (X1 Enterprise Client Version 5.6.2) , and it's brilliant, back to the way it was before.  So I'm not going to bother looking elsewhere.

BTW re
... consider the developer: from their standpoint the WHOLE WORLD is out there trying to rip them off, either by sharing licenses or cracks
... how to protect their baby from being pirated.
... people WILL find a way around it.
... So everyone loses...
... The author gets a bad reputation (because even honest users are annoyed) and potential customers are turned off before they can evaluate anything.
-Ralf Maximus (October 28, 2007, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't understand the author's point.  He says that preventing piracy is impossible, and then he seems to say that despite that, it's OK to annoy potential customers trying to prevent piracy, an attempt that he admits is futile.  Why doesn't he just accept that software developers are shooting themselves in the foot by annoying potential customers?

Ralf Maximus:
What I meant was that it's not a good thing to annoy potential customers.  Firstly, it's bad business.  Secondly, it's just not a nice thing to do.

I *do* believe that developers shoot themselves in the feet by annoying potential customers.  That was the intent of my rant; should have written it more clearly.  Sorry.

Your X1 experience reminds me of mine, except that when I downloaded and installed the latest build the performance remained abysmal.  That and the fact that X1 wouldn't index my networked documents (while Archivarius did) sealed its fate.  I paid $79 for X1 back in the day they charged for it, and still trashed it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version